Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pghtech

Beta member
I have been out of the PC world for a few years, and am going to be building a new PC that I want to do some gaming with, and always like a fast machine. I would like to build the best machine that I can and get the best bang for my buck. I don't want the latest and greatest but something fast and that will perform well with games. Last time I build a machine I spent around $800.00. I would like to keep it the same or less would be even better. I don't want to break the bank but am willing to invest in something that is worth wild. I asking all you guru's that live this stuff everyday to give me your opinions and tell me what you would build today if going to build a new machine.

CPU
I've always been an AMD guy mainly because of the price, and last time I build up a system they were ahead of the game. From what I've been seeing now, it looks like Intel is back on top with the Core 2 Quad Processor.
What are some recommendations one that?

MotherBoard
As far as the motherboard goes, I guess this is really going to depend upon the video card, so I will wait to get some feed back before I make a choice on that. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Video Card Okay last time I built a PC PCIE was the new and hott thing out and now I hear all kinds of stuff about SLI and Crossfire. I can't lie I have no clue what any of that is about. But from what I've been reading is that neither is worth the investment and a single card performs almost as well.
Recommendations?

Memory
Memory, at first I figured the latest would be the greatest, but from what I read DDR3 is over priced and doesn't perform much better than DDR2. With that said not a very hard choice, just don't know if there's any brand that is better than the other.

Hard Drives I don't think much has changed in that world with the exception of capacity I did the new solid state drives, they seem a little pricey I will mostly go with a RAID set up to improve the speed. Last machine I built up I used the WD raptors and found the speed and performance to be great but, they were pricey and unreliable at the time. Any feed back on that?

Case / PWR Supply
I don't really care about looks, but a little bling never hurts, I am def going to make sure I get something that's 450W or better. Is that sufficient now a days, I assume with all the new additions in technology comes heat and more power requirements.

I think I got a little something for ya

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Turbo OC Edition - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

now this comes out to $857 but here's the the bottom line,
this build will kick some a**

I'm assuming you won't need and OS or monitor as you didn't mention them.

And I'll break the build down for you too

the 940 is AMD's best imo, there 955 is out but the differences are negligible between DDR2 and DDR3 support, it's also a screaming overclocker (AMD reports it reaching 6+GHz on LN2)

Gigabyte is a great mobo manufacture, I own the P45-UD3P and it's amazing for the price, the 790X chipset is just the 790FX without a few features (features you more than likely wouldn't even need or notice)

G-Skill makes great overclocking ram, that's about all there is to say, as you've noticed the differences between DDR2 and DDR3 don't back to costs and this stuff is rock solid

the WD Caviar Black is known to perform on par in almost all real world tests against the "raptor" so it's really a steal at $74, and I think 640GB should be plenty of storage

the HD4890 speaks for it's self, it's a HD4870 on steroids, ATI took price/performance crown by a long shot, i was going to suggest the xFx but this one is overclocked and the xFx came with a Flash drive which would ruin the whole "free shipping" aspect

the Cooler Master case isn't too flashy, but it's a great buy and has plenty of room for this build with alot of 120mm fan slots for expansion, "just do it" i would say lol

umm this PSU is $100 but personally I wouldn't skimp it and Corsair makes good quality, and it's 80 Plus certified,

now this build is $60 over what you asked but it has $135 in instant savings and if you'll notice, the HD4890 not only has $20 in instant savings but another $15 in saving were a flash drive would be, but I guess NewEgg slipped on that one (shhh ;))

I think you'll be more than glad if you spent the extra $60 and got this rather than trying to downgrade something or another to meet that budget, and keep in mind there's $40 in MIRs

no offense man but this build is almost 2 years outdated, and a dual socket system is meant to be a server system, trust me, a 940 paired with a HD4890 in a Gigabyte board will haul :cool:

Rollingthunder's build is pretty good. You could save some cash and go for the X3 720, which can overclock more some of the time.

EDIT: Oh, and just so you know, yes Intel is on top at the moment with the i7 chips. Behind that the AMD Phenom IIs and the Core 2 E8XXX and Q9XXX are about on par (please nobody else have a winge, its pretty even...)

I think I got a little something for ya

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Turbo OC Edition - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

now this comes out to $857 but here's the the bottom line,
this build will kick some a**

I'm assuming you won't need and OS or monitor as you didn't mention them.

And I'll break the build down for you too

the 940 is AMD's best imo, there 955 is out but the differences are negligible between DDR2 and DDR3 support, it's also a screaming overclocker (AMD reports it reaching 6+GHz on LN2)

Gigabyte is a great mobo manufacture, I own the P45-UD3P and it's amazing for the price, the 790X chipset is just the 790FX without a few features (features you more than likely wouldn't even need or notice)

G-Skill makes great overclocking ram, that's about all there is to say, as you've noticed the differences between DDR2 and DDR3 don't back to costs and this stuff is rock solid

the WD Caviar Black is known to perform on par in almost all real world tests against the "raptor" so it's really a steal at $74, and I think 640GB should be plenty of storage

the HD4890 speaks for it's self, it's a HD4870 on steroids, ATI took price/performance crown by a long shot, i was going to suggest the xFx but this one is overclocked and the xFx came with a Flash drive which would ruin the whole "free shipping" aspect

the Cooler Master case isn't too flashy, but it's a great buy and has plenty of room for this build with alot of 120mm fan slots for expansion, "just do it" i would say lol

umm this PSU is $100 but personally I wouldn't skimp it and Corsair makes good quality, and it's 80 Plus certified,

now this build is $60 over what you asked but it has $135 in instant savings and if you'll notice, the HD4890 not only has $20 in instant savings but another $15 in saving were a flash drive would be, but I guess NewEgg slipped on that one (shhh ;))

I think you'll be more than glad if you spent the extra $60 and got this rather than trying to downgrade something or another to meet that budget, and keep in mind there's $40 in MIRs

^^ THIS

I'd go with that rig, solid in every corner... that's like something I'd like to own someday

yeh, I would say the x3 720 would be the part to downgrade a little bit to keep under budget, but I mean $60 isn't too much to ask for to get what he wants " best bang for buck" is what he wanted I think. either way it'd still be fast

EDIT:
^^ THIS

I'd go with that rig, solid in every corner... that's like something I'd like to own someday

thanks vernong :happy:

I would the x4 940 is a fine processor, but if you want to save 50 bucks, go with an x3 720.

Also, save 15 bucks after MIR and get this board: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Also, spend 2 more dollars and get this kit of RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Or you can save some money and getting DDR2 800 instead, which won't be a noticeable drop in speed: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Otherwise, that build is great, thunder.

EDIT: By the way, if you get the DDR2 800 RAM and the Biostar board, they have a combo right now, you get 10 bucks off. Not a lot, but hey, that's lunch.

Why would he get a dual socket board if he is never going to need it?

95% of the time, the performance is a good amount less in games... (close to half)

Skulltrail and Quad FX failed to be a viable choice for gamers for this reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom