Who makes the Best Processor

• AMD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That board is outdated anyway, parallel and serial ports? That's a no no.

And why would you spend 170 bucks on that CPU...? An x3 720 is 30 bucks cheaper, an x4 940 is 20 bucks more.

guys relax, it's obvious iamme hasn't read up too much on anything from the past few years, just let him go through a few of the stickies and he'll understand

Very Nice, Setup, I like that alot. I will be purchasing a new monitor, but that will be the last thing I get.
Things to question:

Hard Drive
I found this 1TB drive for a few extra bucks. I probably go with a raid 0 or 5 setup depending upon my cash flow, But last time I built up a machine I was very impressed with the speed gained by a raid 0 setup, does this still hold true?
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM ST31000333AS at TigerDirect.com

Memory
The only question I have about the memory is the ammount, I guess this will depend upon the OS as far as how much can actually be usufull, but I was thinking about doubling that to 8GB, since I like to play with virtual machines.

Power Supply
I found this PSU on tiger, seems to be a great deal?
XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply XON-1000P14HE at TigerDirect.com

Operating System
I am curious about the OS and what the recomendations are and how people feel XP vrs VISTA,

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Turbo OC Edition - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

now this comes out to $857 but here's the the bottom line,
this build will kick some a**

I'm assuming you won't need and OS or monitor as you didn't mention them.

Don't get that XION PSU. It is not a very good brand and also 1000w is way overkill for this rig. Even that corsair 650w will supply more than enough power.

Definitely get Vista Home Premium 64-bit Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems there is no reason to get anything else.

Also that HDD you mentioned is an older model I believe. If you want 1tb get one of these

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives (little faster)
or
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives (still an awesome drive and probably better for your budget)

guys relax, it's obvious iamme hasn't read up too much on anything from the past few years, just let him go through a few of the stickies and he'll understand

The reason we give him a hard time is because we don't want people giving out bad advice to people who don't know what they're doing.

The reason we give him a hard time is because we don't want people giving out bad advice to people who don't know what they're doing.

and I of all people understand that, I guess I just feel bad for lashing out sometimes ya know?

and I highly doubt you'll need 8GB of ram, as far as an OS Vista Home Premium 64-bit is the preferred choice

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

EDIT: and that HDD is a beast, but if you do want more space get the Caviar Black vs the Caviar Green, the black version is the "performance" dog

honestly, I've been wanting to RAID 0 the WD Caviar Black 640GB and really fly,
but the RAID 0 setup will either knock you budget up or cost you a fair amount of CPU power froma x4 940 to the x3 720 if you stayed closer to budget
and I really wouldn't see to much need in the RAID 0 set up unless your gaming on a 30" screen (lots of HDD swapping going on at that res) which you stated you are looking for "bang for buck" so your more than likely not going to see any real world differences in 90% of your software/games besides the benchs

Also consider getting the Biostar TA790gx 128m motherboard, due to the motherboard bios by enabling ACC option alot of people can actually unlock the forth core of the x3 720. And once that's overclocked its a **** of a cpu for the price. This board is cheaper then the gigabyte and is better, has great overclocking potential, of course if you have the money go for a x4 940 but otherwise drop either into this board and you will get some great overclocks.
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Phenom II X3 - Enable and unlock the 4th core from what i have seen most people have had success mainly on this board so why not give it a try. I cannot believe the core is just disabled and not physically cut off.

Also consider getting the Biostar TA790gx 128m motherboard, due to the motherboard bios by enabling ACC option alot of people can actually unlock the forth core of the x3 720. And once that's overclocked its a **** of a cpu for the price. This board is cheaper then the gigabyte and is better, has great overclocking potential, of course if you have the money go for a x4 940 but otherwise drop either into this board and you will get some great overclocks.
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Phenom II X3 - Enable and unlock the 4th core from what i have seen most people have had success mainly on this board so why not give it a try. I cannot believe the core is just disabled and not physically cut off.

well I've read up alot on unlocking the x3 720's 4th core and apparently is only something the first batch was able to do because AMD didn't have enough time to be sure the core was disabled before they launched it to meet marketing dates, but now that's time has set in they've made it pretty near impossible to unlcock that core without really bad stability issues.

I don't know about Biostar too much but I can pledge for Gigabyte, the board has a great layout and an amazing amount of features

it seems alot of peoplemlike the Biostar but it's your choice, as far as one being ebtter than the other I think that's more of a personal opinion v a fact unless someone's got some reviews :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input guys. I will most likely be going with the Gigabyte board since I've had a good experience with the last system I built using them. And will def be going with the x4 CPU. Like I said I'd like to get the best bang for my buck, but I am def willing to make an investment on anything that I think well help me out preformance wise. So an extra $50 here and there is not a big deal. I really like the system that "Rollingthunder" as drawn up and will be going with that. Thanks for all of the great recomendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom