Building new high end PC, need some help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello all, building a new PC. Want to build something that will last me a bit. Hoping for some help :)

All I have for this one will be the following.
eVGA 7900GT
600Watt PSU
Audigy 2ZS
250GB WD Sata 2

Any suggestions on a good SLI motherboard, 2gbs of RAM, and a decent case is appreciated, and of course, a CPU. On the case, I actually prefer something with less bling and fancy lights, just want to keep the box cool and be sturdy. Sometimes I end up sleeping in the same room I have the PC and the neon lights drive me nutz.

Very torn on CPU, I was an Intel fan that became an AMD fan that is sort of thinking Intel again.

Thanks a ton for any help! Trying to figure it all out and order soon, I usually order through NewEgg if you have any links.

case.. check out the aerocool spiral galaxies, i had the case and its awesome.. upside down btx like style, keeps the cpu cool.

mobo i'd go for an asus p5b deluxe or something like that.. its a core 2 duo mobo...

for cpu i'd get an e6400.. but if you got the budget then step it up to an e6600

ram, i'd get some corsair ddr667... or ddr800 if your planning on overclocking

i agree with the ddr800 xms2 corsair.
I got a pair of 2gb from newegg, but one stick was dead on arrival. I'm rma'ing it as we speak lol.

One thing with the p5b deluxe -> ram compatability.
You will probably need to update your bios to support the DDR2 800 ram. I had to update mine on my p5b-e.

So if you have, lets say a 667 or a 400 stick of ram, use that, update the bios, then you can install your 800 and it should post fine.

I got the e6700 processor and it works fine w/ the p5b board and the ddr2 800 ram2gb. As well as the 7900 gs ko i'm running.

The cpu is running at about 58C idle, which seems hot, but not too bad, and the gpu is running at 48C idle, in my apevia aspire case. 2 case fans, exhaust for the heatsink, and 2 intakes up front by the HD.

dont get the e6700 get the e6600 its cheaper and you can easily overclock it to the same speed as the 6700 which is oly 200mhz faster

yeah the p5b-deluxe is a nice board to oc the conroes. ive got the g.skill 2x1gb kit with the d9 chips ;) and they oc nicely, and they booted up on the first try with the old 0506 bios.

@ smapple...58c is really hot for idle speeds. I was running at the high 50s on orthos and i was still in the curing phase at a 3.3ghz overclock. even with stock....58c is still kinda high. Might want to try to reapply the hsf or bring it down some if you oced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom