Building a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Manufacturer has a few defective drives. And you need to realize that because OCZ sells more SSD's than the others it looks like they have more complaints. As an example, OCZ sells 1000 SSD's and gets 20 complaints, Intel sells 100 SSD's and gets 5 complaints. Is OCZ more unreliable?

I've had 5 OCZ drives, gave one to Trotter :thumbsup: , and there all still working great.

Wanna give one to me too? :p I'll look into an OCZ drive I guess, just hope I luck out and get a decent one. Though there's some of the OCZ drives that have a LOT of defective drives, which still makes me uneasy.

How do these look?

Newegg.com - OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Out of those which is the best?

OK, I can't get over these OCZ failures, in this case the bad outweighs the good. A lot of the good reviews are from users who have had the SSD less than the time those who have had it die on them, so chances are theirs probably failed or will fail after they wrote their reviews. I can't tell if it's just OCZ having the SSD issues or if all SSDs in that price range fall short of sufficient. If budget allows it I'll most likely get one of the better drives, if not I'll be buying a regular HDD to install my O/S on.

Forget the bad reviews...if I had that mentality, I wouldn't be driving after reading about car crashes. It's either it happens or it doesn't. It doesn't matter which manufacturer you go to. My OCZ drive hasn't failed me yet and neither has my brothers'. Some people just have bad luck. OCZ is a great company to buy from. They used to make good memory, but they quit that so they could work on their SSDs.

@ Project Dusk
Please don't double or triple post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Most of the reviews posted on Newegg are from users who think they are smarter than they are. The biggest mistake I see most user making is using the Intel AHCI driver, I've tried the Intel driver and it is less than desirable. I use the Microsoft AHCI driver and I don't have any problems.

Forget the bad reviews...if I had that mentality, I wouldn't be driving after reading about car crashes. It's either it happens or it doesn't. It doesn't matter which manufacturer you go to. My OCZ drive hasn't failed me yet and neither has my brothers'. Some people just have bad luck. OCZ is a great company to buy from. They used to make good memory, but they quit that so they could work on their SSDs.

Is the Intel SSD a bad investment then? I mean I'm just looking at the reviews for the OCZs and they have people talking about them dying in a month or 2, BSODing after 8 months, etc etc and that scares me. If I use an SSD I want to do it right, I'd hate to lose my O/S and a good chunk of info after less than a year due to hardware failure.

@ Project Dusk
Please don't double or triple post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Most of the reviews posted on Newegg are from users who think they are smarter than they are. The biggest mistake I see most user making is using the Intel AHCI driver, I've tried the Intel driver and it is less than desirable. I use the Microsoft AHCI driver and I don't have any problems.

My bad, usually if make a double post it's on accident and I can't delete it so I end up "updating/changing" it to say something else. Sometimes I just do it to be courteous so people know I'm listening due to the fact that I'm responding. Should I use the MS drivers for any SSD I get?

If the SSD does end up dying, which I doubt it will...you should only have your OS and programs on there and store files on your hard drive. If this occurs, you can always retrieve your files (unless you turn on windows encryption...so don't), then just reinstall your OS and programs on another drive. Even if the worst happens...you'll be fine.

Ok here's the SSD I picked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227728 By week's end I should have enough for my rig.

I'll be putting some of the cash I've saved towards getting this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101419

Our house has poor wiring and the power goes out a lot when it rain and it rains a lot in my state. I just don't want to have any damage done to my system or lose any data due to power outtages/surges. I really like the fact that this will also protect my ethernet port from surge damage as well.

I hate to double post and bump my own thread, but can anyone tell me if that looks like a good SSD? I'm about to hit the buy button any time between the next hour to 3 days, depending on circumstances, and I want everything to be perfect.

I've also looked at this one: Newegg.com - Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

So any opinions on that one ^ and the one I picked out previously: Newegg.com - OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC ?

It's no problem to post again outside of the 24 hour edit window.

So does that SSD look good? About to hit the "buy" button on ALL of my parts and dont want any lemons or screwy pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom