Building a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably get one of their Bulldozer 4 cores, depending on how they look. It's still too early to tell.

My friend keeps trying to talk me into using dual monitors. I'm already planning to put a 6950 into this system down the road and I'm going to upgrade my monitor from a DELL 22" to something bigger. What's the best size for gaming? I was leaning towards a 25" but he thinks I should get a 23 or 24 incher and pair it up with my old 22" so I can have dual monitors.

Are there really any advantages to running dual monitors? I know it doubles your field of vision in games, allegedly, but doesn't it also put more strain on your card? He was telling me for a little more than the price of a 25" I can get 2 23" LCDs. Is this something worth looking into?

Going with dual monitor or single monitor is personal preference, and what you plan to use it on. As for me I watch a lot shows/movies on mine thus I prefer 1 big screen over 2 smaller ones.

If you are getting just one large one, get a 27"

Going with dual monitor or single monitor is personal preference, and what you plan to use it on. As for me I watch a lot shows/movies on mine thus I prefer 1 big screen over 2 smaller ones.

If you are getting just one large one, get a 27"

I'm gonna use it/them for gaming mostly. I have a 32" LED HDTV for watching TV/movies on. I guess I'll have to think about it more, but I'm still leaning towards 24" or 25". I could probably do one of those and still pair my old 22" up with them.

PC has been assembled for a while, running great. Have only had it freeze on me once or twice and that was after like 6 hours of gaming and the SSD reads at 128c. Only other problem I'm having is a CPU fan error. It's not detecting the CPU fan, I think my brother may have plugged it into a different fan slot or something. I'm using the Cooler Master V6-GT on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX Mobo. So far the only things I need now is to tweak my settings, possibly reconnect the fan or disable Q-Fan in the bios and I need to add a second hard drive. I've hooked my Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers to it and they sound pretty good, I'd invest in some true surround sound speakers but I just don't think it's worth it. I hooked up my Razer Lachesis and my Logitech G15 to game with, but I've since replaced my G15 with a G510 I got on discount. When I can afford it I'm buying a R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse and a Logitech G930 wireless headset, but for now I'm using the Lachesis and Logitech H390 usb headset.

I'll be adding in a spare 500GB HDD to put my games on, I won't be adding in a 1TB or larger HDD until I start filling up the 500GB drive first, I'm not a big downloader so I don't fill space up too fast.

My biggest planned upgrade will be going from this 5770 to a 6950, will be doing this when I can afford it, i.e. after I have a steady job which will hopefully be soon.

I can't wait for Battlefield 3.

Edit: I'm definitely going to have to buy a window unit for my room, this PC is a beast and it puts out a lot of heat for such a small room. Afraid I'll burn it out or cause myself to die of heat stroke if I were to ever get into a long gaming session on it, room gets well over 100f.

Btw, SSDs rarely report their temp correctly. Chances are they'll never go much above room temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom