Building a New Gaming PC - $1000

flyboychuckles

In Runtime
My PC died again and I am cleared to purchase a new one (yeah!). I don't game the most recently published games and do quite a bit of multi-tasking with remote desktops for work. I'm mostly interested in reliability for the next 6+ years.

I have a case, Corsair 700w PSU, and regular HDD/Optical drives. My budget is around $1000 but less is always good. This will be my first SSD purchase and the Samsung 250GB SSD is out of stock. Is there another someone can recommended. Also, how does the GPU look? I am set on using EVGA because they helped save my PC over the summer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mobo:
Newegg.com - ASRock Z87 Extreme3 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670

Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM - Newegg.com

GPU:
Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

SSDs:
For the OS:
ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

For some games:
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

Few problems here. Firstly, don't expect tip top performance from any of these parts for anything over 3 years in terms of like gaming FPS, or productivity as things finally start fully expanding.

Next, you chose a non overclocking CPU, but a board that allows overclocking. Doesn't make much sense. I'm cool with the board, but I would at least spend the extra 10 or so bucks and get the 4670k.

Next up skip the Adata 64GB SSD. That's almost pretty much pointless. For the bigger drive, either get the 840pro or go with a Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB. Use this as your boot, programs, ect, instead of having a dual SSD system. Trust me when I say, it'll save headaches.

Finally the GPU. Take the extra cash saved from ditching the extra SSD and get a 770. It'll last longer in terms of raw performance since you said you don't game the most recently published titles.

Thanks for the tip on the SSD, I changed it to the Samsung as that is on sale now.
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

I don't plan on overclocking but the difference between the 4670 and 4670K is $5 so I changed to the K.

This 770 is a just a bit more than the 760 I had linked. It has more CUDAs, but 2GB less memory.
Newegg.com - EVGA w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2773-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Which is more important, CUDAs or memory?

The option to overclock is worth the 5 bucks because if you seriously want it to last that long you'll want to overclock later.

Like I was saying before, the raw performance will be better due to the fact that you aren't playing any recent titles. Needing more VRAM will be necessary at further dates but not anytime soon because by the time you will actually need all that VRAM the power of the 760 will be obsolete. The only reason to have that much right now is if you play a highly modified Skyrim.

Makes sense. I do play modded Skyrim, but nothing my current 768mb GPU card can't handle so I'll look at the 770.

Thanks for your help. Everything is just under $1000 so I better pull the trigger before the Newegg deals expire.

Back
Top Bottom