Building a new gaming desktop...any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_who689

Baseband Member
This is a list of the components im using on my first build, please leave some feedback will help if i ever try to make another build in the future :)

Case: Thermaltake V9 blacx edition
Mobo: Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1090t 3.2Ghz
RAM: G.skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 - 1866
HDD: Seagate Barricuda 1TB 7200 rpm
GPU: MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme edition 3gb DDR5
PSU: 880W Cool Power Gamer Series

*well this is the basic components i used, anything about it please lemme know. I havent put it together yet since im still awaiting the RAM and GPU to come in via ebay :).

And two questions (just proves that im a amateur at all this lol)...

1. Was thinking of going dual monitors, although i know the 580gtx can run on two monitors was thinking of getting another GPU just to go browsing on the second monitor, and if i was to do that can i get a cheaper GPU or would it have to be the same GPUs?

2. I do have the money for a i7 processor, but really i just want one that will do the job, so seeing that the phenom II six core was way cheaper and still being six core and 3+ ghz i just stayed with that one, or does the six core i7 show a significance performance difference?

Thank You for taking the time to read this :), just a newbie seeking some professional opinions.

You can go with a lower power GPU and still put 2 monitors on there.
I have an ATI Radeon 6850 and I have two monitors, I can play a video file on my spare monitor while playing a full screen game on the other and it still runs fine.

And if you like the AMD Phenom II x6 1090t then stick with it, but if you want to game, not a lot of games can take advantage of the 6 cores.

Nice build

Thanks for feedback,

So with both monitots running on your GPU you never get any tech problems, rverything runs smoothly?

And yeah I just heard that this AMD processor is easy too oc with and was cheaper than a inyel quad core I wanted to get so I just said what the heck ill takeit lol

The new Intel cpu's are the easiest to overclock, most of the 2500K and 2600K cpu's will easily overclock to 4GHz+ without increasing the Vcore.

Ah really? **** shoulda done more research idk how high the AMD is gonna go just hear its as good as those i7s but cheaper lol

Wanted to know if I changed my Heatsink stock to a good one will I be able to at least get my cpu to oc to 4ghz lol if any others use the same cpu please lemme know

Personally, I'd get an SSD to install your OS on, and if you have the money maybe even a second to store games on. Upgrading to an SSD was the best single improvement I made to my tower. No other upgrade I made, made as much of a speed difference as the SSD did. This is just a recommendation. If you're going to spend that much on those parts, you might as well go for the gold. Use the 1TB HDD for storage.

+1 for SSDs, everyone I have heard from LOVES the upgrade.
Faster load times for everything.
And you have an awesome SSD tweak guide on this site.
It is like it was meant to be ;)

Ill look into that so x2 SSD 1 for my os and another just for my gaming?

What type of ssd do you recommend btw for my os , gaming?

I wouldn't bother with two different SSDs...that's a lot of money. I'd recommend just one 120gb SSD.

Both of these SSDs are very good. The Cruical has faster 4k random read rates which is best for reading a bunch of small files like an OS or a file dependent game like Garry's Mod. The OCZ Vertex 3 has a higher 4k random write rate (which I can't think of a reason why you'd need, but there probably is one)...and higher sequential write/read rates..which are only good if you're copying large files. I would go for the Crucial because it's cheaper and it will load the OS faster. Wait for others' opinions before you make a decision though...they might bring up other things. :)

Newegg.com - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 Series – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Night Fox... do you ever really need anything for your PC :) It's more for bragging rights. I bought two in the event that I want to RAID them at some point... That an my OS drive is only 60GB. So after I installed all my regular programs it used about 3/4 of my drive. A second just kind of happened.

OCZ is a good brand. I bought a Patriot for my OS drive and it works fine. The read write speeds are excellent. Boot time is excellent. It changed to about 20 seconds from over a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom