Building a new gaming computer - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

I wouldn't worry too much about building it. I didn't know anything about building computers up until about 6 months ago; its just like shooting fish in a barrel. (except the barrel is an expensive computer case and motherboard, the fish is an very fragile CPU slot, and the gun is the processor with an easily confusing lockdown mechanism.)

Come join the Expiration Date Forums! Discussion boards for everything from lucid dreaming to movies & TV to webcomics, and more!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

K so some great thoughts going on here.

for motherboard switch to MSi K8n neo4-F, you do not need an SLI board...nor will u ever need an SLi board, waste of money, and no point in it. This motherboard is great, and when u wish to overclock, no mobo does it better, except for DFi Lanparty, but this still overclocks amazingly

Cpu, definitely get dual core. if u dont want to dish out a lot for a dual core. get an Opteron 165 or if u can a 170, and then overclock it like MAD! Opterons are the best overclocking processors, guys here get their 165 from 1.8Ghz to 2.8Ghz on air cooling, cool eh?

with that you'd want G.Skill or OCZ PC 4000 ddr 500 2x1gb dual channel ram to make it ezr to overclock without worrying about ram.

as for video card, i'd get the eVGA 7900 GT KO, seeing as how newegg has it cheaper than the other ones....or is that sale over?

for monitor, if u cant spend over $300 for an LCD, definitely get an CRT, it'll be in ur price range and great quality.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, sorry for the late reply. I've been pretty busy lately. Anyways I have looked at all your guys comments and I have took them into thought. Here are some changes I have made.

Case- I know it still dosnt have a very good PSU but its better and should hold up till I upgrade that.

Mobo- I have read alot of good things about this mobo, so i decided why not?

RAM- I decided to go for these because I heard they were a little better then the ones i had for OCing.

Video Card- I changed it to the KO.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Blackheart

Ummmm to be honest, I'd spend maybe 100 or 200 more and get a better cpu, stay with amd, just get a faster clock speed
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oops sorry, I changed it on newegg but forgot to add it on here...
I decided to go dual core

Closed Thread