Building a new computer, does this look any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phlopped

Beta member
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate your help on this. I have had the same slow PC for about 8 years now and havent really been current with technology advances over the years. I am now desperate for a new machine that will be future proof for a little while, as my one can hardly run anything these days.

What do you think of the following setup?

CPU: intel core i5 2500k 3.30ghz sandybridge LGA1155 overclocked to 4.50ghz
GPU: xfx ati radeon HD 6950 2gb
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz DDR3(not sure what brand, i dont mind - corsair, samsung, kingston all fine)
HDD: 2tb seagate 3.5" sata III drive (they may also use weston digital caviar range)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
Power supply: 850w corsair HX series
Chassis: BitFenix Shinobi Black with Window Midi Tower Chassis
CPU cooler: corsair h80 liquid cooler
Thermal compound: artic silver 5
Slot card reader: Icy Box IB-863-B 5.25" 6x Slot Card Reader w/ 2x Front USB3.0 Ports
Blu ray drive: Samsung Blu-Ray SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Lightscribe SATA-II Optical Drive
Screen: 24" Iiyama ProLite E2409HDS Widescreen LCD Monitor
Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 USB Gaming Keyboard
Sound card: Asus Xonar DX Low Profile 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card

If you think I should change anything, please let me know!

Thanks guys

Phil

welcome to techforums.

thats probably twice as much ram as you need, unless you do some sort of crazy amount of video/photoshop work/cad work.
i would suggest instead of getting a 2 Tb drive, get a 1 Tb and an SSD, or if you need it for file storage, get a 'green' 5400 rpm hd and a larger SSD for programs
im not sure about the motherboard, but it could be fine. generally you will find that gigabyte and asus are the best.
i think that you dont need to have that many watts in your psu, unless you plan on doubling up that 6950.
i believe that tuniq tx-2 is a better thermal compound.
unless you have some specialized hearing and some specialized audio work, the onboard sound is probably more than fine. if you think you still have to have it, i think the xonar ds will save some money and still be more than you need.

I say also add a 64GB SSD to that, also consider a Z68 Mobo instead of a P67 :) If you are intent on having a P67 I recommend the P76 Sabertooth.
Maybe also if you are considering about going SLI in the future go for a PSU with 1KW.

Valkyrie

what is your absolute max budget and i will put together a rig that will do EVERYTHING you want it to do for a very long time... also tell me what you are going to be doing with this computer the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom