Building a new computer, does this look any good? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Building a new computer, does this look any good?

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate your help on this. I have had the same slow PC for about 8 years now and havent really been current with technology advances over the years. I am now desperate for a new machine that will be future proof for a little while, as my one can hardly run anything these days.

What do you think of the following setup?

CPU: intel core i5 2500k 3.30ghz sandybridge LGA1155 overclocked to 4.50ghz
GPU: xfx ati radeon HD 6950 2gb
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz DDR3(not sure what brand, i dont mind - corsair, samsung, kingston all fine)
HDD: 2tb seagate 3.5" sata III drive (they may also use weston digital caviar range)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
Power supply: 850w corsair HX series
Chassis: BitFenix Shinobi Black with Window Midi Tower Chassis
CPU cooler: corsair h80 liquid cooler
Thermal compound: artic silver 5
Slot card reader: Icy Box IB-863-B 5.25" 6x Slot Card Reader w/ 2x Front USB3.0 Ports
Blu ray drive: Samsung Blu-Ray SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Lightscribe SATA-II Optical Drive
Screen: 24" Iiyama ProLite E2409HDS Widescreen LCD Monitor
Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 USB Gaming Keyboard
Sound card: Asus Xonar DX Low Profile 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card

If you think I should change anything, please let me know!

Thanks guys

Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
ninja troll
Default Re: Building a new computer, does this look any good?

welcome to techforums.

thats probably twice as much ram as you need, unless you do some sort of crazy amount of video/photoshop work/cad work.
i would suggest instead of getting a 2 Tb drive, get a 1 Tb and an SSD, or if you need it for file storage, get a 'green' 5400 rpm hd and a larger SSD for programs
im not sure about the motherboard, but it could be fine. generally you will find that gigabyte and asus are the best.
i think that you dont need to have that many watts in your psu, unless you plan on doubling up that 6950.
i believe that tuniq tx-2 is a better thermal compound.
unless you have some specialized hearing and some specialized audio work, the onboard sound is probably more than fine. if you think you still have to have it, i think the xonar ds will save some money and still be more than you need.

Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

+1 to everything said above, but MSI makes decent boards so your mobo should be just fine.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein
Rep me if I helped you out
Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I say also add a 64GB SSD to that, also consider a Z68 Mobo instead of a P67 If you are intent on having a P67 I recommend the P76 Sabertooth.
Maybe also if you are considering about going SLI in the future go for a PSU with 1KW.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

what is your absolute max budget and i will put together a rig that will do EVERYTHING you want it to do for a very long time... also tell me what you are going to be doing with this computer the most.
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Closed Thread