Building a new computer, advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brfc

Solid State Member
Hi

I currently have a Acer Aspire 5633 1.6ghz dual core 2 with 2gb ram and a 120hdd.

But i plan to sell this and put the cash towards a new Desktop.

I plan to either build it myself or get someone else to build it for me. But i have several decisions to make before i start to buy the components.

I use the computer for:
Football Manager
Age Of Empires3(not currently as i cant run it on this laptop)
Music.
Msn
Internet
Photoshop
Illustrator(plan to do design at college then uni possibly so a good pc is essential)
But when i play FM i would be on msn and also listening to music.

I have around £550 to spend , which includes Vista/Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers/Monitor.

First of all i need to find a good motherboard , i hear the Asus PK5 is good, but im not totally sure?

Then i have to decide which processor to go for, its a toss up between the E8400 Wolfdale or the Quad Core Q6600. Now i really dont know what to do , but as i understand it Quad core is the future but not many programmes use it to its potential yet. I would also plan to overclock the quad up to around 3ghz , but im worried at doing that as it voids the warranty. Is it risky ?

Im settled on having 4gb of ram , but i dont know which is good for overclocking etc.

Ive been recommended the Nvidia 7900GS as a good GFX card as i only need it to play AoE3(dont play games Crysis etc)

I dont really understand hard disks at all, but id want at least 500gb if not more depending on pricing.

Also,if i plan to overclock i understand i would need a good fan?

I would also want Vista(64 Bit)

And i have found a 19" screen for around £100.

And i will buy the keyboard when its time to , but any recommendations would be helpful.

I know its alot to digest! But any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom