Building a new computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMBiEN22

Solid State Member
Hey been out of the loop but was browsing on newegg and decided that i want to build a new desktop computer. My old m9700 alien ware laptop is seeing the last of its days being about 4 years old.

Anyways here is the setup i am thinking of doing.

MOBO: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
P6x58d Newegg link

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
Link to i7 newegg link

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G
Link to Corsair Ram newegg link

CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Antec case newegg link

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Link to Corsair PSU!!

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HDD link to newegg

Combo DVD CD: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM Combo DVD CD link

GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Link to newegg for Nvidia GTX 470

I am almost 100% everything is compatible and been doing research for about 2 weeks now. I am really just unsure how much performance i will get out of this. I am not a HARDCORE gamer but do play a lot of WoW and raid a lot and my old computer crashes and lags because of the old CPU.

All input suggestions and comments welcome! (sorry for a sloppy post)

Thanks for replying so fast and that ram will save me a couple bucks! I have another question as well i read that my HDD won't really bottle neck my computer i read that it might have slower load times and such but that does not bother me. I just want stable perfomance with a decently high FPS that won't spike and freeze up when i am raiding.

A friend told me that it might even better to get a couple of HDD's same speed and sata but lower GBs and have one for my OS one for my Games ect... Not sure why he said this if it was because he stays organized or if there is actually a benefit to doing this? (also i am RAID retarded see people complain about HDD's not supporting certain raid ###'s and confused by that.)

I like multiple drives purely for the safety. If you lose 1 drive you don't loose everything.. Same with a virus, You can reformat the os and not worry bout loosing your saves.

You cand get a smaller fast drive for the os, anbd a bigger "greeer" drive for storage. Green drives save power by slowing down.... bad for OS's.

RAID can be a pain, I don't really recommend it. Raid0 will speed up the hard drives performance but it carries the risk of losing all your data if one of the drives dies on you.

Getting a smaller, faster drive for your operating system and using a 2nd larger drive for your Data will help speed up the Boot Time but it won't help your apps much if there loaded on the 2nd drive.

Solid State Drives (SSD's) are the way to go if you want fast hard drive times but there expensive.

I like multiple drives purely for the safety. If you lose 1 drive you don't loose everything.. Same with a virus, You can reformat the os and not worry bout loosing your saves.

But that type of Raid won't increase his drive performance, it will actually slow it down slightly.

Oh, I'm not talking RAID... I ment if 1 drive crashed, you still have the os, or your data still, instead of all 1T going bye bye.

Basically seperating the OS from your storage stuff.

Yeah like i said i am clueless. I have an SSD in my laptop that just cost me 200 dollars can i use that in my desktop? Not sure i have a link to what SSD it is but might as well use it if i can and install my OS on it for faster boot and load times.

Correct me if i am wrong even if i install my Games on a 7200rpm it really won't bottle neck my gaming correct?

Also like i said i don't even really know what RAID (i have an idea but i could be waaayyyy offf) is. So if its a feature that needs to be turned on i probably never will lol.

Also the case i am getting anyone have any cons or pros to say about it. I find that not having a removable MOBO tray is a con but its more of a benefit to have not a need type deal. What i am disappointed in and what make me change my case is that the back of the CPU is not accessible with out removing the MOBO which will be a pain if i buy a cheap water cooler and or aftermarket cooler.

Also anyone own a cooling system like coolit or the one for corsair the h50. (cons pros what they think)

Thank you for fast replies!!!

Yeah like i said i am clueless. I have an SSD in my laptop that just cost me 200 dollars can i use that in my desktop? Not sure i have a link to what SSD it is but might as well use it if i can and install my OS on it for faster boot and load times.

yea, you should be able to.

Correct me if i am wrong even if i install my Games on a 7200rpm it really won't bottle neck my gaming correct?

if you mean like actual gameplay, then no, it shouldn't affect it.

Yeah, that's what i meant. I know or i am pretty sure it will just affect load times but i have heard FPS is basically determine the graphics card. I have been out of the loop for a while! =P

But anyways for those just joining and people whom already posted feel free to provide some input on the setup how you would rate it and what not!

Also Am i forgetting any necessities like cables?! to hook all this up or will most of it come with what i have selected.

The mobo comes with SATA cables and such, and your PSU will have plenty of connectors. You will need a DVI or HDMI cable to hook up your monitor if you don't already have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom