Building a New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtocoL

Beta member
Ok, im building a new pc basically for school, gaming, daily random use (Photoshop cs3, word, etc.), and work. I've basically got my parts down and need recommendations on whether this fits. Here is the link to my cart in newegg

Newegg.com Shopping Cart

Also, i don't know the difference between these two hard-drives, so can somebody please explain the difference and the recommended one for my system?

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136112
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136075

Sorry, I couldn't see the two hard drives because the links are broken. What's your budget? I'm guessing it's probably around 500-600.00 based on your list...

I've got a few recommendations. First of all you shouldn't get a micro ATX motherboard unless you're building a small form factor (SFF) PC, which I don't think you are. Consider this one: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The P35's are good boards, and this one has a nice price.

If you're trying to cut costs, you could prbably go without the sound card, because all motherboards have integrated sound, an unless you're and audiophile, you won't be able to notice much of a difference between integrated sound and a dedicated sound card.

The RAM you chose is okay for a mid-range build like yours, but if you're willing to spend a little more, you could get Crucial Ballistix for like40.00 more: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Everything else looks fine.

Sorry, I couldn't see the two hard drives because the links are broken. What's your budget? I'm guessing it's probably around 500-600.00 based on your list...

I've got a few recommendations. First of all you shouldn't get a micro ATX motherboard unless you're building a small form factor (SFF) PC, which I don't think you are. Consider this one: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The P35's are good boards, and this one has a nice price.

If you're trying to cut costs, you could prbably go without the sound card, because all motherboards have integrated sound, an unless you're and audiophile, you won't be able to notice much of a difference between integrated sound and a dedicated sound card.

The RAM you chose is okay for a mid-range build like yours, but if you're willing to spend a little more, you could get Crucial Ballistix for like40.00 more: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Everything else looks fine.

why not Abit ip35-e

If you've got some time/ability to do it I highly reccomend buying a cheaper case and painting it how you like- however lacking tools experiance or just because you don't want to- your fine, thats just personal opinion- the case itself is nice I thought about buying it myself- and hooking up a good intake fan (any size you can fit- just high airflow) and making sure you vent well itll keep everything chilly inside.

CPU- for about 20 bucks more you can get the E6750 which is what I plan to be getting for mine- Ive read a lot on it and the performance is outstanding, and the little boost you get from the mhz change is worth the 20 bucks. same socket- little faster- same FSB.

Id highly suggest droppin the sound card- not only is it 30 bucks (best buy here has one from creative for 19.99 all the time) but as it was stated- integrated is fine- it DOES tend to burn out- but itll take a few months at least- my mic port burned out and I bought a sound card for the mic port a while back- but other then that the sound works great still even in now 4.1. and no.. theres not much change at all in clearity or anything- motherboards improved there sound greatly.

so like 30 bucks saved there- spend 20 into the better cpu and your still saving 10 bucks off the top there for your budget.

Id highly reccomend another board.. let me search for one around price ranged- your current selected doesnt support your cpu FSB (1066 when you have a 1333 proccessor) hmm lookin at newegg theres not much for that RAM- look into some motherboards that will support your 1333 fsb cpu (I don't reccomend going back down to 1066 since some are more expensive for less quality) and make sure you look into some other RAM for it too- since 667 is good- but theres not many mobo out there for it on newegg- try 800 - thats what Iam going with, however my board is 130.00 so it depends on your budget.

EDIT***
Here I found these 2 on newegg that support 1333 cpu and your 667 Ram they are both micros and this compares them side by side so you can judge. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

as for Hdd personal experiance western digital is great- mines lasted over 7 years of "always on" and heavy gaming. Seagate is great too. and the links dont work so ill offer general help
I advise sata 3.0gb/sec harddrives and 80 gig 7200 rpm is about 40 bucks.
I discourage older IDE drives- they are becoming obsolete fast
I encourage the 7200 RPMs- they are extremely fast- the 10,000 doesn't change much so is wasted

uh.. I highly reccomend a smaller (20ish gb) Hdd for your OS and things like cache- then setting up a larger HDD for your games(even up to 250 or more Gb), photoshop and other fun stuff - reason is system performance- youll be able to do more at once without laggy hesitation (reason further in geek is the header on one HDD reads windows and such while the other is doing what he wants to do)

wow he cheaped out a lot in that build tho... lets start clean

e2180 (overclocking champ and hits 3.0ghz easily)
ditch the sound card (on board is great nowadays)
abit ip35-e
af7
Corsair 520hx
7600 gt (unless you find a 8600gt really close to 80$ since they perform really closely)
use the same case except without a built in PSU in it

add a seagate 160gb and ur set

vernog good set up too but I was hoping someone else would notice he chose a 1066 mobo and a 1333 proccessor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom