Building a NAS

Ivvvy

Beta member
Hello Everyone!

I am looking into building my own NAS. Up until now i have been using Synology, but my team and i are looking into building one ourselves. It's much more complex than what i thought. and rather than break my head figuring it out i would like to know if any of you can help me out.

I know a little on the basic components that are needed, but not nearly enough to do this. But, I was hoping to find out where do i start in building it? What is needed exactly? and perhaps where i can find someone who actually knows how to build it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I am looking into building my own NAS. Up until now i have been using Synology, but my team and i are looking into building one ourselves. It's much more complex than what i thought. and rather than break my head figuring it out i would like to know if any of you can help me out.

I know a little on the basic components that are needed, but not nearly enough to do this. But, I was hoping to find out where do i start in building it? What is needed exactly? and perhaps where i can find someone who actually knows how to build it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

you are over thinking it.
as NAS is just Network Attached Storage.
heck, I can plug in a USB hard drive into my router and that'd be a basic nas.

Are you wanting to convert a server/computer into a NAS, or were you literally meaning build a tiny box?

Thank you for your response! I'm currently trying to make a NAS server from scratch. Not looking to convert an old PC. i need help mostly with the official TCP/IP setup and configuration itself, and the OS programming. Pretty much software, i have some knowledge on the hardware that would be needed.

Back
Top Bottom