building my new rig, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it says unallocated. That picture came from a Windows XP system, sorry.

Okay, both of the drives are formatting now. Once they are formatted will they show up under my computer?

Also, I can still not get the internet working. I am trying to install a linksys adapter.

Alright if the Disk Management shows the space as unallocated you have to create the partitions. So right click on the drive and create a new partition. It has to be a Primary Partition. That is the only kind that Windows will install on.

Do that and format the partition cause when you create the partition it will ask if you want to format. So format it right away as well.

I got both drives formatting right now but before I started formatting the drives, when I right clicked on the drives, the only option it gave me was new simple volume. It did not say anything about creating a partition. I clicked on new simple volume and now I got them formatting.

Is there something I need to do to install my network adapter to get internet working?

We will worry about that after we get Windows installed. Those drivers will either A.) install with Vista or B.) be on the CD that came with the mother board. But first we need to get Windows isntalled. That is the first priority.

P.S. thanks b1g for the compliment. Kinda scared me when i see Mak need your advice Windows Guru...:eek:

When did i become the Window Guru?

Actually I got Windows installed. Sorry if I didn't already mention that. Right now both hard drives are formatting. Just waiting for them to finish.

What do you mean it is a USB adapter? For that you need the chipset drivers which are at the link i previously gave.

Are you trying to install the software for your ISP or something?

I am using an adapter that connects through the usb ports. I installed the chipset off the cd.

Under device manager, it shows the adapter with an yellow exclamation mark beside it and under properties it says this device is not configured correctly(code 1).

Just so we are clear, I am trying to connect to the internet through a network.

You should have a CD for that as well. But you said it doesn't install right? I am guessing that the device is not Vista compatible and you will have to go to the device manufacturer's website to see if they have updated drivers for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom