Building my new PC - it won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not recommend Shorting the PSU like that, If you want to test it get a proper testing kit and a cheap voltmeter.

I would not have thought that the problem is the PSU at this stage. Take the Mobo out of the case to eliminate any possible shorts with the chassis, double/triple check that the CPU heatsink is installed correctly, It must be in full contact with the CPU otherwise the mobo will shutdown instantly to prevent frying the CPU. Take out the RAM, and make sure you have all power connectors in the motherboard, there may be as many as 3 or 4 different connectors including the 20-24 pin main atx connector.
Check that your jumpers are set to the default positions as per the manual.

Read and follow any power troubleshooting guide in your mobo manual.

MrCoffee said:
I do not recommend Shorting the PSU like that, If you want to test it get a proper testing kit and a cheap voltmeter.

I would not have thought that the problem is the PSU at this stage. Take the Mobo out of the case to eliminate any possible shorts with the chassis, double/triple check that the CPU heatsink is installed correctly, It must be in full contact with the CPU otherwise the mobo will shutdown instantly to prevent frying the CPU. Take out the RAM, and make sure you have all power connectors in the motherboard, there may be as many as 3 or 4 different connectors including the 20-24 pin main atx connector.
Check that your jumpers are set to the default positions as per the manual.

Read and follow any power troubleshooting guide in your mobo manual.

It doesn't short anything, all it does is ground the green wire.

it works but its not good for you power supply as they are designed to work with a load i.e. a resistance.
The PSU testing kits you can buy are basically just an atx connector with a resistor and a switch.

It was the power supply. As soon as I plugged my friends PSU fans started up, lights stayed on etc. However, a new problem - during the windows installation I had a crash. This happened 4-5 times in a row. We tried a different hard drive and same result.

I removed one of my 1gb ram modules and no more crashing. I thought it was a defective module, but I later found out this crash was only occuring when in dual channel mode. I currently have my ram in B1/B2 slots, but I wish I could use Dual Channel mode (A1/B1 combo).

Any ideas?

I take it we're talking two identical ram modules? perchance a dual channel kit?

does it fail a memtest86 when in dual channel mode?

Yes both are identical.

I am not sure what a dual channel kit or memtest86 is.

After moving the other module from B2 to A1 to run in Dual Channel Mode, same problem. It shows the ASUS motherboard graphic screen when I boot up, then it just restarts itself and shows the same screen again etc. etc.

I got into the bios menu and it showed that I had 2gb ram installed on the main window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom