Building my first PC

cabato

Beta member
Hello, I am currently working on getting the parts for my first desktop. I was hoping the tech-savvy people here can evaluate my choices to make sure everything works together and to suggest alternatives. Here goes:

CPU: i5 3570K (will overclock)
GPU: EVGA GeForce 650 GTX Ti (should I get 1 or 2gb, I am only using one screen at 1920 or less resolution) (also, should I overclock my GPU?)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) (is this enough RAM)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
HDD (may also get SSD): Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB
OS: Windows 8 (just because it costs less, or should I pay more for 7)
Power Supply: Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-750 (is this enough power even if I wanted to get an additional 650 GTX later?)
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (this is my old computer's case)
Fans: Not sure what I have, but I assume I'll need 120mm
CPU Fan: ARCTIC Alpine 11 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler for Intel

Costs right now are around $820 and I would say $900 is my limit if I am missing anything necessary.

Last edited:
spend less on the processor and get a better graphics cardL

get a 2500K processor, do away with the 3570 and get at least a 660ti

The 650ti is better than the 7850 actually. He's right, if you're on a tight budget and game then get a lower grade CPU and a better GPU. You would do perfectly fine with getting an i3 3220 now then get a GTX 660 or 660ti in its place. You can always upgrade your CPU to a 3570k later but if your main focus is gaming your performance is in your GPU.

Guess Sean doesn't realize the 3570k and 2500k have been the same price for a long time.

8GB is enough but you don't need anything faster than 1600MHz. Get a standard Ripjaw 8GB kit.

I would change the PSU to a Corsair TX650w.

You can drop the cooler you have listed. It's barely better than stock and there is no way you would have overclocked a 3570k on that. CPU overclocking is not needed with gaming as these CPUs are plenty fast enough for the current crap we have for games.

idk if you can do this but you can just download linux and use the money you used to buy a better gpu

Last edited:
So here is what the new build is looking like:

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 2GB
CPU: i5 3570K Ivy Bridge
RAM: G.SKILL Trident 8GB 1600 MHz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 TR-700 700W
MOBO: MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CPU Fan: ARCTIC Alpine 11 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler for Intel
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA

Is Seagate a good brand? Will i have enough power for an overclocked cpu and two gpus? People keep recommending me a different motherboard...but I can't see a difference between other more expensive boards and the one I have chosen. Is that just reputation?

Also, what fan would I need to keep the 3570 cool at 4 GHz? One more thing; will the 650W Corsiar be enough if I wanted to OC my CPU and my GPU, and possibly get another CPU?
I can get the 660 GTX and the 3570K and stay under $900.

Last edited:
Seagate has the least return rate last time I looked, course arguments over HDD brands have been had many times here. Seagate, Western Digital, and Samsung all make good drives.

For your second question, yes but I wouldn't do it on the Thermaltake you have listed.
The difference is quality in motherboards, but most importantly CS if you have to return it. It is a combination of reputation and personal experiences. MSI make some good boards but good luck if you have to send them back. I typically stick to Asus or ASRock boards in favor more of ASRock.

The 3570k has a turbo speed of 3.8GHz perfectly capable on the stock cooler. Overclocking to 4GHz would be moot. You will get more gains by OCing your GPU.

To your final question, a 690 which essentially has 2 670 cores can be run on 650w so my assumption is yes SLI 660s and a 3570k can run on the Corsair TX650. If you are dead set on going SLI (I recommend you don't) then just for precautionary measures I would bump up to the TX750.

Back
Top Bottom