BUILDING MY FIRST GAMING PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
3-5 years? Are you saying it would be obsolete as in it wouldn't run the newest games (at that time) at full settings? Or because it will start falling apart and be useless period? Because chances are I will stick to older games for a while anyways and maybe make a minor upgrade if I need to if I happen to find an amazing new game I can't run.

As for games, I should have specified what my style is. I'm more of a RTS or MMORPG or even just RPG if it's a great game. However, I do like FPSs or almost ANY game for that matter it's just that: 1. I've never been very good at FPS because my computer has never handled them at decent settings for online competitive play and 2. The gap between decent players and pros is REDICULOUS. Some people are far too good at head shots from the other side of the map it's simply turned me off to them. But I love the list and I'll probably try most of them. If you have any suggestions on new RTS or MMO/RPG (with the exception of WoW) I would be very interested to hear!!

PS: I don;t mean to digress from my original topic but I'll be posting a new update including PROBABLY the 850 watt and probably the non-premium Asus motherboard as well. My only concern, despite too smarties telling me otherwise, is that I'm concerned they will be outdated faster. And to be honest, I'm willing to spend $20 for an extra 150w but the $60 for "technically the same motherboard" may be worth the save. Any extra feedback as to the specific differences is still appreciated but otherwise I will probably go with these guys' suggestions.

as far as how long your computer will last, it really all depends on what comes out and what your plans are for your computer, if you want to be at the cutting edge, this computer will last till the end of the year, but if you dont mind being at the blunt end of the razor, this will last you a while, as long as you take care of it. and when it starts to fall behind, a $600 upgrade will put you right back on top. with this computer id say you are in the top 20% of extreme machines. to go any faster than this computer you have to start spending thousands of dollars, and just because you spent alot more money, doesn't mean the performance gain will be all that awesome. it gets exponentially more expensive for minimal performance gain. when you get this built, i wish i could come over and run benchmarks on it. so when you get this thing built, you let me know and ill tell you what benchmarks to run and how to run them :) very excited ( if thats okay with you )

i think Fall out 3 fits the bill for your gamming style, and i agree with you completely about FPS online, i used to be one of the pros, i would get banned from servers and people said " if you play here, you are only allowed to use your knife " and i would still win, by a large margin. then my computer ( at the time ) failed and i fell behind, when i got back on i was slaughtered... and im not willing to put the ammount of effort it will take to get good at online game play again, so i stick to single player, all the games i recommended have amazing graphics ( which your new computer will be able to run all of them at maxed resolution and maxed settings ) and all have single player.

What is benchmark? I could just google it but i'd probably prefer your definition more. And whatever it is, chances are I wouldn't mind doing what you're mentioning. Another thing, what exactly is overclocking and would I be doing it at all? I mean how could you overclock a computer without trying to play multiple monitors from it? Maybe by running crysis, burning dvds, downloading music and playing WoW at the same time? Either way, I won't be doing either of those things. THANKS!

Benchmarking is running standardized test, 3dvantage, super PI, LinX, etc. that gives you a number you can compare to other systems, or against yourself, if you do overclocking to you cpu and/or gpu.

I have no idea why Sean is so hot to benchmark your system, as its a pretty standard system now adays.I think he's told like 12 people to buy basically the same setup.

Overclocking is changing the front side bus speed of the cpu to something higher so yo get a faster cpu speed. Example is my q6600 which is stock at 2.4Ghz. In the bios I've up'd my fsb to give me a new speed of 3.2Ghz, thus gaining 800Mhz of cpu speed. Which makes it think faster, so it can play games better, encode faster, basically work like a chip $300 more expensive for "free".

Its a nice system, and should serve you a long time, without any overclocking.

Lol, $2000 is a standard system nowadays? I have not met anybody yet (in person) spending money like that on a computer intended on gaming purposes. I truly hope the only people spending 2k+ on a computer are those who are rich or don't have much else to do with their money or time. The only reason I am is because I'm getting a lot of money from FA and I plan on making quite enough to pay it back when I get a job after graduation. I guess I also don't hang out with a lot of serious gamers. Mainly nerds of a different breed. Those who are more baffled by science than the technology it produces. I guess I'm a hybrid in that sense. What's the point in obsessing over science if you take no time to enjoy the beauty (technology) it produces?

As far as a gaming system..... yup, fo a search for i7 920 systems, and yours is a cookie cutter setup with the better gpu.

And that shouldnt be 2k, unless youre counting shipping too. Edit -> its only 1600 +shipping

Its not folks who got the money to blow, but like you, want to a system for a decent time with deffinate upgrade capability.

[[CASE]]: COOLER MASTER HAF X
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

[[MOTHERBOARD]]: ASUS P6X58D Premium
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

[[GRAPHICS CARD]]: XFX Radeon HD 5870 1G
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

[[MEMORY]]: Ripjaws series 6g 3x2G
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

[[POWER SUPPLY]]: Rosewill 1000W
Newegg.com - Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,ATX12V v2.3/ EPS12V,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

[[PROCESSOR]]: Intel Core i7 920
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

[[HARD DRIVE]]: Wester Digital 1TB 6.0GB/s 3.5"
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

[[DISK DRIVE]]: LG Blu-Ray disk combo
Newegg.com - LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Combo Model CH10LS20 R LightScribe Support

[[CPU COOLER]]: Noctua 120mm & 140mm
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

)))OK! I'm back and it's ready to buy. I've decided completely on these components. My ONLY concern now is just one LAST check on their compatibility. I know I've asked before but I'm about to spend $1750 and I don't want to find out something doesn't even fit. If you are 100% sure, please let me know and I thank you graciously in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom