Building my first computer (need lots of help ><)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyzse

Solid State Member
I am trying to build my first comp and I can't really decide on anything. My budget is around 1500, which includes monitor, printer, a router, and any other accesories. The one I have right now is from 2000 and is really starting to bug me. Mainly what I want it for is programing in visual studio, working with flash, maya, and photoshop (and alot of time i'll have all three of those open which makes my current comp lag like ****). I do a bit of gaming but nothing high end so I just want to get something that will be fine for graphics and programing and some gaming, and will last me a while and something that I can upgrade. I've been doing reaserch but can't find alot of the stuff I want, I don't know much about many of the numbers dealing with the specs so its a bit hard ><. Yea thats a really long intro but whatever.

First I'm trying to pick out a motherboard. AMD seems to be a better brand than intel for alittle bit more money (the Intel Pentium D 3.0 ghz would run me around 250, where the AMD athlong 64 x2 2.8 ghz would run me around 300). Those prices are give or take maybe 50 dollars since there seem to be alot of variations in those chips. Ok but I was sort of leaning towards Intel pentium D just becuase of this motherboard:
http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/DualCore/955/PDSG4.cfm
For the AMD mother boards I can find the medium quality ones that most store bought comps have, and then I can find the server quality ones (I'm searching for all socket 939 mobo's socket 940 dosen't seem to be good).

After I get this picked out I'm goign to reaserch the actual procesers in more detail. And I realize this was a really long way to say "Are there any good AMD motherboards that are around the same qualty as this one", but I guess I just like to talk alot.

1500 would get you a MONSTER pc for gaming. So don't get taken like a fool for something you don't plan on using like a high end graphics card or something. I'd say you could build what you want for around 1000 so ask around and the guys here will take care of you. ; )

I realize that what I'm buying is overkill, I just wan't to have something that will last me a while and will run maya. I do do some higher end games so I would like the nice stuff. If I can afford it then it makes since to buy it and have it last me 5+ years. What I have right now has SO many problems while running maya that I just want something that is completly painless. I am pretty dead set on getting dual core so..... unless there is a better option for around the same price, or if buying dual core isn't going to make it last for much longer then buying a regular procesor would.

well, if you're not ocing...

LG Black E-IDE / ATAPI DVD Burner 5X DVD-RAM Write Model GSA-4167B BK - OEM

XION Black XION II XON-103 SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JB 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

ViewSonic VA902b Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail

Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - Retail

OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4002048V3DC-K - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM

Combo
eVGA 256-P2-N518 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$488.00 -$129.00 Combo
$359.00
eVGA 133-K8-NF41 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

some keyboard.

it comes a bit over, but it's good

hmmm okay then. go for the x2. If you want to it to last out of sight out of mind then go for the goodies. get a 7800GTX GPU if you have the money. or a 7800gt if you don't want to spend all that much. get a big hdd like a 250gb. get a DVD burner for like 45. 4gb of ram! go crazy w/ it

The one krytoknight built is a good build. If it meets your budget then i would go with that.

Can overclock those processors as well however probably want to get a DFI lanparty if you were going to overclock.

If you need a printer and all the goods tho then probably have to downgrade a little from that build.

ok his might be a good build, but I really want to go about pcking the stuff on my own. (you know, it just feels more "mine" if I do it that way). I'll look at it and compare those parts to what I find, (I'm not going to just stupidly pick something that is worse just to have that "my" feel).

But basicly what I'm getting is that you'll say AMD too, but the fact that the super micro mother board has so many more features (nice PCI ports, 8 USB, and 8gig max ram (ddr2, although I've read that ddr2 isn't much diferent than ddr only a slight bit of diference due to latency in ddr2), amoung other things). really leans me towards Intel, can someone explain why this isn't a good choice?

Also I am hoping I can go all out with it and keep it for a while, I was planning on 4 gig ram, ^^ and whatever I can fit on the thing, but to go all out it seems I should have a nice motherboard so I can go all out, and can upgrade more later.

4 GBs of RAM is useless, and possibly worse than 2 GB. 2 GB is all you will need for a while.

I agree 4gigs of ram is kinda stupid and a waste of money.

Intel vs AMD can be argued all day long which im not going to even say what i prefer cause I have used both and both are honestly good decisions. If your going Dual Core however i would go AMD unless you feel like spending 1000 dollars on the top Intel dual core which is pretty nice ;). If you think you might overclock then i would go with amd as well.

1.5gb ram around 115$
7300GS(or something higher, it is just that this is such a good carf for being only 99$, and since you dont game much, it will be perfect)
AMD X2 4400+ - 466$
Lian Li case - 100$
450 watt psu 45$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189003
8ms 19'' moniter -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824174029 ha ha, 12ms 19'' for 209$!!!!!
MX518 - around 35$
Saitek Keyboard - around 50$
250gb HD - 110$

--- TOTAL >1230$< >$0321< LATOT ---

I envy you :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom