Building my first Computer (need advice!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our best overclocker (Slaymate) on the site has both the classified and the A1. He has had great results with the A1. The only reason he picked up a classified was to get a higher bclk when he hooks up his phase cooling unit to it.

If you plan on sub-zero cooling get the classified. If not the A1 will do everything you want and more.

Our best overclocker (Slaymate) on the site has both the classified and the A1. He has had great results with the A1. The only reason he picked up a classified was to get a higher bclk when he hooks up his phase cooling unit to it.

If you plan on sub-zero cooling get the classified. If not the A1 will do everything you want and more.

sub-zero cooling? I think I will use the A1 and save $100

how do I do sub-zero cooling anyways?

You've gotten all this excellant advice and I've seen overclocking mentioned, but no mention of what you plan to cool your cpu with (other than NO Phase-Change). Are you shopping at NewEgg or elsewhere? Here's a few suggestions :D

Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
and it will need a fan also
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE FM123 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

or one of these
Thermalright Venomous-X CPU Heatsink w/ Pressure Vault Bracket System (Socket LGA 775 / 1156 / 1366) Ultra-120 Extreme Successor - FrozenCPU.com
and a fan
SilverStone FM123 120x120x25mm w/ Fan Controller - (FM123) - FrozenCPU.com

You've gotten all this excellant advice and I've seen overclocking mentioned, but no mention of what you plan to cool your cpu with (other than NO Phase-Change). Are you shopping at NewEgg or elsewhere? Here's a few suggestions

I thaught the case I have chosen (CM Stacker 830 SE) came with all the cooling I needed. do I need a cpu cooler? The case already comes with a few fans, do I need another one?:whistle:

If your planning on overclocking then yes, you'll want a good aftermarket heatsink. And the heatsink will need it's own fan. I'm off to work this morning but I'm sure Hefe will get you up to date :D

Here is the stock i7 heatsink which comes with your cpu:

intel_corei7_cooler_092308.jpg

Good for overclocking to around 3.0Ghz from stock 2.66.

Here is an aftermarket heatsink. The Venomous X to be exact.

thermalright_venomous_x_expreview_computex09.jpg

good for overclocking to 3.8 to 4.2 depending upon your cpu. While you have all the case fans you need the heatsink goes directly on your cpu to cool it. You could have 1,000 case fans but without a good heatsink your overclocking will be limited.

Up to date? :D

I might pay a bit extra for the cpu cooler incase I want to overclock past 3.0GHz later on. maybe a good Idea would be to purchase them later on If I even decide to overclock that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom