Building my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzigy

Beta member
Hello:

I'm in the process of building my new computer. While I thought myself as a tech savvy person, the process has made me change my opinion. {I blame my switching to mac laptops for the past 7 years.} I know the place to start is the CPU, but I don't feel sufficiently informed to make an intelligent decision.

The reason I'm switching back to a desktop is because i want to play games on it, but I don't want to limit it (my future computer) to being a Gaming PC. I'd like to try some video capturing and editing, and maybe start a youtube channel. Big dreams!

These are the 3 CPUs I'm currently looking at:

- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
- Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

The i5-2500k is reviewed as the best $200+ CPU for gaming on this website, therefore its there on the list. The reason I'm considering the i7-2600k is because of the Hyper-Threading technology. Would it give me a noticeable performance boost when it comes to video editing/capturing? and Will my gaming suffer from this plus 80 or so dollars? (This question may reflect my lack of knowledge)

Finally, the i5-3570k is there just because its Ivy Bridge and it looks as if its good.

Also if you know of some good websites that I should go for research I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a good one!

Difference between my friends 2600k and my 2500k isn't even noticeable compared to the price difference between the 2.

For your needs, I would suggest the 3570k.

is there much noticable gains between the 2500 and 3570?
Believe its ~10% stock performance increase, noticeable in real-world applications, probably not.
But if you keep it for a few years and upgrade the GPU to something that will benefit from PCIe 3.0 it'll be nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom