Building a multi-monitor computer. (Stock Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossNews

Baseband Member
I need to build a computer. Basically from scratch.

I need to have about 6-8 monitors connected to it (each showing a different screen, so the splitters are out of question.)

I have no set budget. With that in mind, I am not really looking forward to spending over 5-10K..

AMD/Intel...

Can someone think of something?

I was thinking like motherboard with 4 PCI 16 slots and 4 video cards with 2 DVI outputs... so like quad sli.

Seems like overkill though for a computer being used for running one very simple stock trader program.

I need to build a computer. Basically from scratch.

I need to have about 6-8 monitors connected to it (each showing a different screen, so the splitters are out of question.)

I have no set budget. With that in mind, I am not really looking forward to spending over 5-10K..

AMD/Intel...

Can someone think of something?

I was thinking like motherboard with 4 PCI 16 slots and 4 video cards with 2 DVI outputs... so like quad sli.

Seems like overkill though for a computer being used for running one very simple stock trader program.

You don't need anything close to that expensive of a system. I'm out of the loop on some stuff so I won't post a complete build but here is the video card and adapters I would get

1x ASUS EAH6970DCII/2DI4S/2G Radeon HD 6970 DirectCU II Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), Quad Display Port, Dual DVI, DirectX 11, Eyefinity 6, CrossFireX, Triple-Slot, Overclocked at TigerDirect.com

4x Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Active DisplayPort Adapter 100924 DisplayPort to DVI Interface

That gpu + 4 of those adapters will let you run 6 1080p displays without the need to deal with a multi gpu setup. Also do not get cheaper adapters than the ones I listed as you need active adapters to be able to run that many displays and most cheaper display port to dvi adapters are passive

Are all the different monitors for looking at a bunch of charts simultaneously? I'm thinking about getting into the stock market once I do some more research, so I don't throw away my money. Does all that really help that much?

Yes, it really does help me.
Currently I have what I call a cave computer.
Computer #1 + 19 inch monitors x2.
Computer #2 + 28 inch monitor.
Laptop + 19 inch.

All together I have 3 computers running and 5 monitors. The perfect setup for me is Laptop (to do orders from) + computer with 6-12 monitors.

The only reason I need that many monitors is because I already know what I am doing. DON'T bother wasting your money if you are starting out. Most people either fold or lose it all in the first year.
I'm good at it and I love it.

Can you give some advice as to where to go to do my learning? So far I've read Real Money by Jim Cramer, and I am currently reading his latest title, Getting Back to Even, which I believe should be a little more in depth.

You need to 1st decide what market you want to follow, equity (stocks), debt (bonds), forex (currency), comidities (gold, grains, ect ect). Each market is different and has different trading. The best way to learn is to get a practice account and trade from that. Learn how to excute the trades, learn what to look for in the market movement. I personally trade the forex market. You can learn on a system as simple as a laptop all the extra monitors do is allow you to track more of the market, which I personally do not recomend when you are starting out. In trading when you dont know what you are doing too much information is fatal. On a side note if you want to day trade I suggest you save up at least 25k before you start.

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/pagemap/pagemap_demo.php

Interactive brokers is the best for equity demos. Now that you know what market you want to follow you need to trade in a demo account for at least 6 months. You need to document every trade this will allow you to track how you actually do. I would advise picking one or two stocks at most to follow. This will allow you to actually understand the fundamentals and learn how to track the charts. Too much noise will ruin you, keep it simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom