Building a monitor from scratch - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Building a monitor from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Ah alright. Was thinking about looking into doing it, since I have a couple spare panels sitting in my closet.
carnage you should absolutely do it. it's really very self explanatory and easy to put together.. i imagine the part I'm on now is the most difficult... which is making the monitor look presentable.. but if you're not one for aesthetics, then it's a 10 minute job from the moment you have the card and the power cable set to the right voltage.

ravenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenite View Post
hey guys, I jsut read a thread on here by gallen which started out like this:

I'm looking to inform myself for my own interest on how something like the portable monitor I'm making could be made to run .avis, .mpeg etc.. from a usb.

gallen gave me the idea.. thank you gallen if you're reading this, you're a closet product innovation genius xD.

The only way i can think of is to have the usb stick be large enough to hold a very basic Os maybe? and have that be the platform that the monitor uses to run the media files?... but a usb stick holds no processing power all by itself right.. and hte interface that my controller card provides is very basic and is only useful for adjusting basic screen settings (brightness, positioning etc.)...

this has left me really curious, i hope there are some clever guys out there with a thought or two to throw my way, I have no viable idea of how to make the above mentioned work.
Raspberry Pi would nearly be perfect for what you want, and is super inexpensive ($35 for the base unit, a little extra for extra accessories for it).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Been looking into it and i found PiCast 2.0, which has all the functionality of the raspberry pi as far as I can tell in addition to being focused on streaming media including yoru desktop to an attached screen from an outside source via wifi... a portable wifi enabled monitor... this'll take a long time to figure out. as far as i can tell, these mini pcs function as controller cards too. except they require configuration before being able to function as displays for a media source other than the OS installed on the raspberry Pi/PiCast. useful information i figure.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Here's a selection of LCD boards on ebay
LCD Controller Board HDMI | eBay
I've noticed that some of these boards do have ports for your LCD inverter to back light your screen
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hey Joe, yeah the one i bought is exactly like those. I invit eyou to check the pictures i posted, I knwo they're not very clear but with enough squiting you cna probalby make out that there is an image showing on the lcd and that it is backlit, i'll do another test of the LCD with a pc attached to it and have my os showing on it for proof. thanks for looking through that stuff. pretty interesting right? now i'm looking through what else i can attach to teh screen to make it display my desktop wirelessly, or have it extend my desktop wirelessly.. if it works out i can have messages showing our menus for the bar that will be in our office or something perhaps more interesting.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I've got an older Dell 19" monitor that has a fried board. might try playing with that if I can manage some time to tinker with it
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

Okay, I am using a spare LCSD monitor form a laptop as well, so How do you figure out what controller board you need ?

Also, Would it be better, instead of using a Laptop screen, to use a Led monitor.
It is just to adapt a Namco device to, only Yellow cable.

TheDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote