Building a mid spec rig for my Dad

sirkelly55

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm wondering what changes you would suggest/recommend to this budget ($650~$700. I can go higher but would prefer not to unless there's a good reason) Gaming PC for my Dad. It just needs to handle middle of the road games like World of Tanks, War Thunder when Ground forces is released, and probably some FPS games.

These are my thoughts... any cash saving and performance enhancing changes are great.
Zalman ZM-T1 Plus MATX Tower
AMD FX-4300 x4 Vishera 3.8GHz up to 4.0Ghz Turbo 8MB
Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 250 OC 1GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 64MB 1TB
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (8GB X1) Gaming DDR3-1600 Desktop ram
ASUS M5A78L-M LX AMD 760G MATX
FSP RA-550S 550W Continuous Power 80 Plus Silver

Is that video card alright for MMOs and mid spec games? is it worth getting the R7 260X instead or would a Nvidia card be better value (I have no experience with Nvidia)
Is it worth getting the i3-4130 instead? (or suggest another)

Cheers!

P.S. No peripherals, monitor, or OS is needed in this cost thanks :)

I personally suggest an i3 4130 and a cheap H61 or B85 board with the cheapest 8GB 1600MHz RAM set you can muster. Then add a GTX 760 or R9 270x if possible.
The i3 (and all Intel 2nd-4th gen for that matter) has faster single threaded performance for better gaming performance. This will also give you more headroom for upgrades in the future as well as a more advanced platform to make a stand on.

As always though, remember that 90% of gaming is GPU so the better the GPU you can is the best.

The only other thing I raise an eyebrow on is the FSP power supply. Not the best of choices IMO, but as long as you keep the rig low key like this it'll do fine.

Back
Top Bottom