building laptops... a [hopefully] NEW question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
i do know that there are posts in the past about building a laptop yourself, but i have a few specific questions:

first: why do they sell laptop parts at places like newegg (like the processor and ram) if you cannot upgrade your motherboard? I'm not very educated when it comes to laptops, but i don't understand who could even put a new processor in a laptop, because most are pretty securly sealed shut... would you hire a professional to take it open or send it to the manufactures?

second, why haven't some of the hardware companies steped in and made some standards for laptops, then manufactured the parts to buy individually and put together? all they have to do is make a "normal" case-screen combo, average size motherboard, etc etc.

third, are there any plans in the future that you know about that companies will start doing this in one way or another..? because to me it seems like they would make a lot of money from people like me who want to customize a laptop as well as their home computer (for "static studies").

thanks

Good questions ... but some really smart people could probably build a laptop by using parts from Newegg.com. It's definitely not as common as building a desktop PC.

The main reasons why most don't build laptops are because:

- Difficult to estimate and control heat dissipation.
- Difficult to find every part needed to build a laptop unless you use some pre-built laptop parts.
- Energy system is more complex and components differ quite a lot from their desktop equivalent, and can result in dangers or short battery life.
- You have to work in a very small area that doesn't allow for a lot of customization or options and it's very hard and annoying to do.
- Why build a laptop when you can buy a prebuilt one, prebuilt laptop's are better in quality than desktops I've found. Also, nearly no one games on laptops, so their components don't need to be OC'd, tweaked or of high high quality. It would be expensive too as most decent performing laptops cost 1.5 or 2x as much as their desktop equivalent.

It's just to immature of a technology and field as of now, and there are more reasons to buy pre-built then build your own ... at the moment.

Some laptops are upgradeable. The processor and ram can usually be swapped out, it's usually just really tough. Laptops are pretty hard to crack except for a few pieces. Usually the HD and memory are usually easy, everything else requires instructions from the manufacturer.
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 that's pretty upgradeable. I've swapped out the ram, hd, cpu, and even the graphics board since I've bought it, but mine is a rare exception.

jorsoft03 said:
Some laptops are upgradeable. The processor and ram can usually be swapped out, it's usually just really tough. Laptops are pretty hard to crack except for a few pieces. Usually the HD and memory are usually easy, everything else requires instructions from the manufacturer.
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 that's pretty upgradeable. I've swapped out the ram, hd, cpu, and even the graphics board since I've bought it, but mine is a rare exception.

WHAT? Graphics??!?

Actually, you can buy barebones lappys and finish them out yourself.

Google it.

septoid2 said:
WHAT? Graphics??!?
Yep :). Dell went through a brief phase where their gaming laptops could have upgradeable graphics. The Inspiron 8100 and 8200 have actual graphics cards in them. They are daughter boards that connect to the lappy's mobo. I upgraded mine from a 16mb Geforce2Go to a 64mb Geforce4Go, the best one that'll work with my display.
Also upgaded the proc from 866mhz to 1.2ghz for that matter. Found all the parts I needed from good sellers on eBay.

jorsoft03 said:
Yep :). Dell went through a brief phase where their gaming laptops could have upgradeable graphics. The Inspiron 8100 and 8200 have actual graphics cards in them. They are daughter boards that connect to the lappy's mobo. I upgraded mine from a 16mb Geforce2Go to a 64mb Geforce4Go, the best one that'll work with my display.
Also upgaded the proc from 866mhz to 1.2ghz for that matter. Found all the parts I needed from good sellers on eBay.

That's because heat and energy differences between the two upgrades are'nt that significant. Memory has jackshit to do with performance, and I'm sure the difference in the video card was a matter of a few mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom