Building a good quality gaming rig - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to be the OP's friend you talk about, and although i do not claim to know everything i know enough to know that the H50 is a fair choice. Since it is essentially using water cooling, it gives lower load temps than its air cooling counterparts and my friend said that he was ready to get the best (without going straight into the deep end with full on water cooling, i'd assumed at least. Otherwise a venomous X ect. would do)

The H50 is crap. The big thing to remember is all water-cooling is not created equally. My system is all "Air-Cooled" and it runs cooler and was less-expensive than any H50 setup you can find.

The VenomousX is a decent Heatsink but the TRUE is better. I test many different heatsinks throughout the year, I even have a TRUE and a VenomousX for sale.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/sale-thermalright-heatsinks-228908/

The H50 is crap. The big thing to remember is all water-cooling is not created equally. My system is all "Air-Cooled" and it runs cooler and was less-expensive than any H50 setup you can find.

You still aren't really telling us why its worse, you are just saying its crap and that there are air cooling equivalents that are better. Do you have any results (like a graph or max temps under load for different ones?). Its not that i don't trust you (i wouldn't be suprised if the noctua D14 outperformed it), i just want some proof and you don't seem to be supplying any, we just have to go by your word.

dpi is really not that big of a deal..i mean its a big change from a track ball to a laser mouse haha. but i mean a gaming mouse is a gaming mouse and the amount of buttons and how it feels in ur hand is really all ur looking for

You still aren't really telling us why its worse, you are just saying its crap and that there are air cooling equivalents that are better. Do you have any results (like a graph or max temps under load for different ones?). Its not that i don't trust you (i wouldn't be suprised if the noctua D14 outperformed it), i just want some proof and you don't seem to be supplying any, we just have to go by your word.

I'm not in the habit of saving every result and making charts so I can defend my recommendatons. But you can browse thru this Forum and find all kinds of information about me, what I do and how good I do it.

However, I'll eagerly wait on you to buy your components and set everything up and show us the results of your knowledge and diligent research. Maybe you'll even show me up in a benchmark or 2 :omg:

It's cause it's Australia.

Slay, there is absolutely no need for that kind of arrogance, it is a totally legitimate question to ask. If it is crap, why is it crap? I am going to be forking out a lot of money for this computer, I want to know what I am getting if I go with the H50.

Check out here Corsair H50 CPU cooler review, the cooling performance is not great, and those were up against older coolers.
Also check out the user who has tested both h50 and d-14. Battle Royale: Corsair H50 vs Noctua NH-D14 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
It will also cost more with fans on it, this is why slay is telling you it's not worth it. you can even grab an overpriced d-14 like me xD for slightly less than the h50. Or just grab a cogage arrow with push/pull fans for a bit cheaper.

Thanks baron, much better explanation there. I have been using OCN a lot for recommendations as well, and have had a lot of people suggest the H50 to me. That is really why my friend suggested it, he went to OCN for his first build and has become a regular there, apparently it is highly recommended.

If I wanted to OC the processor to 4GHz, would the H50/U12P tolerate that?

OR If I got the D14, what could I OC the CPU to? It is an i7 930, couldn't find a 920

Slay, there is absolutely no need for that kind of arrogance, it is a totally legitimate question to ask. If it is crap, why is it crap? I am going to be forking out a lot of money for this computer, I want to know what I am getting if I go with the H50.

I'll be as arrogant as I like.

I've taken my time to explain a few things and help you, with other TF members, get a a nice shoppinng list. You then go elsewhere and get a bunch of "Bad" advise and want to make changes. Fine, make your changes.

Your friend signed up to to defend his advise but he's shown no evidence of his superior knowledge and he's shown no evidence that his choices were in anyway correct. As far as I'm concerned the Corsair H50 is a well-know expensive waste of money, aka piece of crap. It's common knowledge and I expect your friend to prove me wrong not the other way around. That is why he signed up isn''t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom