Building gaming rig...possible to use parts from this comp? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Building gaming rig...possible to use parts from this comp?

Well, im not actually building one, and probably wont for a while. Im using the gaming rig in my sig at the moment. But im wondering, could i build a nice gaming rig still using some parts from this comp.

Things i wont need to upgrade:

Sound Blaster Live
Ram ( still need another 1gb though)
Harddrive (not sure if its safe to re-use a harddrive even if its wiped clean)

Could anyone help me and put one together? I want to have 2 gb's of ram, best graphics card (eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX PCI Express 512MB 2x), mobo, new PSU? Processor (almost best one, or best one, AMD of course), maybe new cooling system.

Basically im curious if i can use some of the parts i listed to go into a new gaming rig. I ask because this comp is almost (or is) 2+ years old, and games are starting to advance past my rig.

I ask because i noticed that either something is wrong w/ my Optical drives or they burned out, and i started thinking about a new rig.

Reason id like to use old parts because i'd have to ask my dad, and im sure he'd get me a new comp, but still, 1-3k$.

So any idea, if possible, how much it would cost basically to upgrade most of my rig and would it be worth it, or just get a whole new rig.

Also about how long should i be using my gaming rig for? Is it normal to upgrade/new rig after 2-3 years?
Closed Thread