Building gaming PC - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

throughglassdarkly

Beta member
I have been thinking of building a new gaming PC. I've done some reading, but I could do with some help with what to get; budget is around $1500+. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm planning to reuse the optical drives and speakers/LCD monitor from my current PC.

HD: Western Digital Velociraptor 300 GB

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced model 9998679 6gb DDR3 1600; according to the tomshardware review it's half the price of the Corsair Dominator and supposedly equally fast/faster

CPU: ASUS P6T
(or BIOSTAR TpowerX58? I've people saying that it's good but I couldn't find a direct comparison anywhere, and it costs about $30 more than the ASUS.)

Motherboard: Intel Core i7 I7-920 Quad Core Processor
2.66GHz, 4x256kB, 4.8GT/s QPI, LGA 1336 Socket B - MPN: BX80601920

Video: EVGA 017-P3-1291-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Sound: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

(I've actually seen some people saying that ASUS motherboards are better than Intel, but I'm not sure which one to get)

that would be correct, dont get the intel board.

only thing you need to buy from intel here is your cpu.

Everything in your build is nice....I would just change mobo's....I prefer Asus mobo's.....however there are many other good brands also

Tenenbaum has a good build
Biostair makes an awesome MB, just because Asus is a big name doesn't make them being the "default" mb.
Def get the gtx 295 :D a lot better, and it has an hdmi hook up, easier to hook up to your flat screen tv :D

Edit: I would get a WD HDD, because I like those better and maybe a full tower case because bigger is better...

Thanks everyone, I've made the changes, but I'm still unsure between the ASUS P6T and the BIOSTAR TpowerX58, and I'm not sure if I should get 610W/750W for the power supply.

EDIT: Yeah, plus it's so awesome that they named it velociraptor that I'm not sure I could resist even IF the Seagate were objectively better :p.

if you're to get the GTX 295, or even the 280 i'd get the 750

Biostar is known for being a better overclocker, asus usually has exceptional parts on the MB, but Biostar does not lack exceptional parts either.

All depends on what you're looking to do with it

I would go with the Biostar x58 like mentioned earlier, it is an extremely impressive overclocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom