Building a Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smernst

Beta member
Hi all new here so bare with me,

I currently own an iMac, but I want to upgrade to a Windows PC that has the power to run new and upcoming games on High / Ultra settings. My current iMac runs most games on High settings with an okay framerate.

Here is my iMac setup as of now:

----------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.66 GHz
1.98 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT
----------------------------------

I've looked at this computer setup and it looks to be at about my budget:

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Configurators.aspx?mid=311&t=w&c=17007

I'll have to lower price a little.

What do you guys have to say about this setup? Will it be able to run games on Ultra settings? Upcoming games?

My budget is around $1000-$1150 (This price will include a monitor if possible, but if the extra money is required for the computer itself I will do it.). You guys can modify it or it would be really cool if you guys could even set up a whole new computer (on any site you can create a link) for me to use since I am a noob. I just want the best possible gaming rig

EDIT: I would like it to use a DX11 compatible card such as the ATI Radeon HD series and I have a brand new Windows XP Pro version

Any suggestions appreciated :D

Thanks,

Smernst

if your windows xp pro 64bit or 32bit? You'll need 64bit to utilize more than 3.5 gigs of memory, and a computer in your price range should have around 4gigs. Also, windows 7 is a lot better than xp.

Would you consider building the computer yourself? We could pick out a list of parts for you, and all you'd have to do is assemble.

if your windows xp pro 64bit or 32bit? You'll need 64bit to utilize more than 3.5 gigs of memory, and a computer in your price range should have around 4gigs. Also, windows 7 is a lot better than xp.

Would you consider building the computer yourself? We could pick out a list of parts for you, and all you'd have to do is assemble.

yea i changed my mind and im building it from parts myself :p

What do you guys think of this?

Case
--------
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Motherboard
--------
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Graphics Card
--------
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Power Supply
--------
Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Processor
--------
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Memory
--------
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 - Desktop Memory

Hard Drive
--------
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Monitor
--------
Newegg.com - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

DVD
--------
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 24X DVD+R SATA 24x DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

OS
--------
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

The guys over at Computer Forum set this up for me.

Any changes / suggestions before I buy?

Smernst:big_grin:

Smernst,

I sincerely hope that you're joking. The CPU & motherboard (and RAM, for that matter) are not compatible. You've listed a socket 1156 motherboard and a socket 1366 processor. The motherboard also does not explicitly support DDR3 1600MHz RAM.

The GPU you've chosen in the last build is truly what I'd consider the best bang for your buck (currently) - the 5850 is one **** of a bargain.

Change the CPU & RAM of the previous build to the i7 860 (1156) and 2x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000MHz.

With these components & the motherboard you previously selected, you'll have a gaming rig to be proud of.

P.S. Buying a computer case is typically a very subjective process (depending upon an individual's aesthetic tastes), but you may as well spend 10$ more and purchase the nicer model of that case.

Smernst,

I sincerely hope that you're joking. The CPU & motherboard (and RAM, for that matter) are not compatible. You've listed a socket 1156 motherboard and a socket 1366 processor. The motherboard also does not explicitly support DDR3 1600MHz RAM.

The GPU you've chosen in the last build is truly what I'd consider the best bang for your buck (currently) - the 5850 is one **** of a bargain.

Change the CPU & RAM of the previous build to the i7 860 (1156) and 2x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000MHz.

With these components & the motherboard you previously selected, you'll have a gaming rig to be proud of.

P.S. Buying a computer case is typically a very subjective process (depending upon an individual's aesthetic tastes), but you may as well spend 10$ more and purchase the nicer model of that case.

Thanks +rep :D

This is what i'll be buying then!

Smernst

i wouldn't keep consulting with your friend regarding parts. MasterRex is right, that mobo and cpu would not be compatible. as for the ram, it would be compatible it just has to be ddr3 ram. with that particular evga mobo though, it just says that it supports 2000mhz+ ddr3 ram but any ddr3 ram would work.

what is your budget though? because that last build was like $1,050 and now this new build you listed is over $1,200.

i wouldn't keep consulting with your friend regarding parts. MasterRex is right, that mobo and cpu would not be compatible. as for the ram, it would be compatible it just has to be ddr3 ram. with that particular evga mobo though, it just says that it supports 2000mhz+ ddr3 ram but any ddr3 ram would work.

what is your budget though? because that last build was like $1,050 and now this new build you listed is over $1,200.

i am able to change budget a slight amount, just need to work harder for the money :p

heres what i got so far:

Case:
Newegg.com - Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan,1x Top 120mm Fan,1x Bottom Fan - Computer Cases

HDD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Monitor:
Newegg.com - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

GPU:
Newegg.com - HIS H585F1GDG Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Memory:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH - Desktop Memory

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - EVGA 121-LF-E652-KR LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Power / Optical Drive:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom