Building gaming PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Building gaming PC

I decide no PS3 antymore. Instead I want to build a PC mostly for BF2 and CS:S, but when Crysis and COD4 come out I want to play those games too. I have no clue when I read these guides on building a PC, I don't know about the products and differences. What is the most important thing I should think about? I would like to keep under €1000 but €1500 is ok I guess. Like I said I would like to run Crysis very fast at maximum settings when it comes out.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Building gaming PC

how much is that in American Dollars?

Intel Q6600 - CPU
Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR2 800 - RAM
BFG 8800 GT - GPU
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Sound
WD SATA II Caviar 250GB with 16MB Cache - HD
ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - DVD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-BIT - OS
Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

That's basically $1300-2000
Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Also do you have a good computer now that you can take some parts out of?
cause if you do then you have a lot can cut out quite a bit of parts that are just a bother to buy. Also are you looking to get parts and build the computer, or are you looking to get a computer that's already built? If you're looking to get a pre-built then if you could give us some good sites that ship to where you live. Also if you're gonna get parts then again, a good site that has a large selection of individual parts, and will ship to your area.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by midn1gh7 View Post
Also do you have a good computer now that you can take some parts out of?
cause if you do then you have a lot can cut out quite a bit of parts that are just a bother to buy. Also are you looking to get parts and build the computer, or are you looking to get a computer that's already built? If you're looking to get a pre-built then if you could give us some good sites that ship to where you live. Also if you're gonna get parts then again, a good site that has a large selection of individual parts, and will ship to your area.
Well, TBH my father has PC but his work is entirely on it, and I rarely get 2 use, and I have about €1000 now but later may have up to €1500. I get to game sometimes when he's not using it but tbh his work is very important and the more I leave his PC alone the better. Also my PC would be in my room.

The only thing I have is an old PC which was like 1998, but I was told that it would be pointless trying to upgrade that.

Quote:
Also are you looking to get parts and build the computer, or are you looking to get a computer that's already built?
I am going to get parts to build it myself not prebuilt.

Quote:
Also if you're gonna get parts then again, a good site that has a large selection of individual parts, and will ship to your area.
That is one problem. I live in Republic of Ireland and I looked on newegg.com for example, and faq simply doesnt work so I don't know anything about shipping. What sites would u recommend considering im in ROI?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechtech3000 View Post
how much is that in American Dollars?
1,000.00 EUR = 1,356.86 USD
1,500.00 EUR = 2,035.28 USD
Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to kobe24

mobo: ds3r p35 gigabyte
ram: gskill hz's 2*1gb sticks
cpu: q6600 g0 stepping
vga: 8800gtx
psu: corsair 620w
hdd: 320gb seagate 16mb cache 7200.1 rpm
6800gs ultra
1.5gb ddr400 oem
120gb hdd

The Techies' Bible
Old 08-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Building a gaming pc

Would something similar to this be ok?

What is the difference between quad and duo? Also is 2gb enough or should I get 4gb of RAM?
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanwest View Post
Building a gaming pc

Would something similar to this be ok?

What is the difference between quad and duo? Also is 2gb enough or should I get 4gb of RAM?
2gb is deffinitly enough for now, cause vista (with the exception of the x86 version) has issues with more then 2 i believe. And the only difference with a dual core and a quad core is that quad core's are more expensive (in some cases) and faster then the dual cores. What you could do is get the q6600 for i think 280-300 USD.

I looked around and found one website that sells stuff in ireland, and things there were pretty expensive, I only got a mobo, cpu, 2 gig of ram, and a 8800 gts and was at 1000 euro so. Look around and try and find a good place to get stuff.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

i was going to get from aria.co.uk they ship to here;
"Deliveries to Eire are charged at £26.95 for up to 5 kg. For parcels weighing above 5 kg, there is an additional charge of £2.30 per kg."
how much would al those components weigh? woudl shipping be ex*****ve? ireland is a ripoff tbh.

Closed Thread