Building a gaming computer - no defined budget as of yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

withyouforyou

Solid State Member
I am going to be getting some money next week, but that wouldn't stop me from also paying monthly for some parts, etc. I'm looking for a gaming computer that can run all of the games (obviously besides crysis) at a very high FPS, maxed out.

I've been looking into an E8600 Processor, and a GTX295 video card. I'm having trouble understanding compatibility between PSU/MoBo and PSU/Video Card.

My question is - what is the best bet, for say - $2000? $2500?

I have the monitor and tv, so I don't need that. I'd actually like 7.1 audio, and the ability to game with newer games. I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't been able to decide on what parts I would have to get outside of the 295 and E8600.

Also, do you think a 1 TB hard drive is way too large? I have A LOT of files to store.

Thanks.

I've been looking into 64 bit Vista and 8gb of ram. I don't know what I TRULY need in order to be able to max out my gaming potential.

With that budget, you should go for an Core i7 setup, which you could get on roughly half that budget.

You may want to wait until Windows 7 comes out instead of buying Vista 64bit.

It depends on how many files you have to store. It will be a good idea to buy 2 hard drives, possibly SSD drives, one for Windows and the other for storage and backup.

I will let the professionals pick out the parts for you.

I've heard that an I7 isn't necessary for gaming. I've heard that even an E8400 will be enough. I've actually heard that the I7 has reduced performance in games....

I'm just looking for the best gaming computer, pound for pound. I'd like to run games like Champions Online, L4D, GTA IV, etc.

Okay let's look at it this way. Are there ANY games on PC that I could play with a lower end computer - that ARENT on the 360?

If I can get away with a cheaper desktop, and have the best of both worlds - I'll do it. I mainly need the computer for my Game & Simulation Programming courses at DeVry - but hey, I'll settle for a cheaper desktop that can play, say, Champions Online, etc.

My main intention is really playing MMOs such as Champions Online, WoW, and event playing Diablo III. My question is....Would a GTX 260 + E7500 Dual Core run Champions Online well?

I don't need the best computer. I'm more interested in actually getting the lowest possible system, while running those games on HIGH to MAX at 50-65 + FPS

Yes. It would blow the game out of the water.

I played the Champions Online beta with my s939 4200 X2 and 3850 with no problems. A E7500 and 260 GTX will rip through it like no one's business.

That's great Trotter. Could you maybe help me find other parts to stick in there that would get me to under $500? I'm not very good with PSU's / Mobo / RAM. I already have XP, so I guess I could stick to XP.

While this is all true, I'm not sure why you would settle for a less if you're willing to spend even half that much money. I've put together an impressive i7 system for around $1,000. I could probably sell this thing to someone a year from now and break even. The time is right for an i7 platform, if you ask me... the i7 920, which as I understand it (and I've been doing my homework on the techie bits lately) is pretty much a lasting winner. Games aren't optimized for quad-cores yet, but they will be soon, and you'll be taking the step up to DDR3 RAM as well. You can also OC the 920 very well.

What you'll have is a rock-solid platform to build upon for years to come, with an i7 setup.

Also, for a PSU and a case, you can't go wrong with these:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I've got mine now. Great frame for a great system!

I'd settle for less because it'll leave the rest of the money for rebuy an xbox console, buying a 42" HDTV, and also buying the rest of my 4E D&D books.

Too late for my brain to work well enough to piece together a build tonight. If no one else gets to it I will get it tomorrow/today (about 1:30 here).

Alright, I appreciate it. I did want to flat out buy just the computer, but when I think about it, being able to get everything is much better. The xbox does have a lot of games the pc doesn't have, after all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom