Building a gaming computer and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianxx

Beta member
OK, so recently my laptop broke on me and i decided to build my own gaming computer so i wouldn't have to spend a lot of money to buy a brand new one. I've looked up some articles and decided what i wanted to put in it, but I'm not completely sure if all of it is good quality for gaming. Here is a list of what i plan to buy:

Antec Twelve Hundred Chassis - - - Antec Twelve Hundred Chassis - TWELVE HUNDRED - Buy.com

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor - - - Amazon.com: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor: Electronics

Glyph 500GB SATA Hard Drive - - - Glyph 500GB SATA Hard Drive | Sweetwater.com

BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 OCFU 1792MB PCIe 2.0 (B) - - - BFG Tech - BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 OCFU 1792MB PCIe 2.0 (B)

XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply - - - XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply at TigerDirect.com

Lite-On IHOS104 Blu Ray ROM - BD-ROM 4X, DVD-ROM 8X, CD-ROM 32X - - - Lite-On IHOS104 Blu Ray ROM - BD-ROM 4X, DVD-ROM 8X, CD-ROM 32X at TigerDirect.com

Above are all the things i plan to get (except for a motherboard) for my gaming computer.
This is obviously my first time building a computer so i need some advice on what motherboard i should get. Please let me know which you think would be the best for a gaming PC, and which would be compatible for all those parts listed above. Also, the case i have chosen has slots for fans and i am wondering which fans i should get.

P.S - if you think i should get a different case please let me know
Thanks

I don't have the time to help this guy thoroughly, I beg any one who's a good hardware buff to post in this thread and help this guy.

Let me start by saying, don't buy a Core 2 Quad.
I recommend either getting an Athlon II X2 and waiting for the Phenom II X6's to release, or just waiting for the Phenom II X6's to release.
Or you could get an i7 920 for about the same price as a high end Core 2 Quad, as you have selected.*
*Cheaper actually

Only buy the GTX 295 if you're getting a good deal on it.
I recommend a 5850 or 5870 over it, just for the convenience of lower power draw, them being single GPU graphics cards and having comparable performance.

You don't need a 1000w PSU, and you most certainly do NOT need one from XION.

I've never even heard of Glyph before?
Try to look at Newegg for parts?
Do you have a Microcenter nearby?
Is there a Tigerdirect in your state?

Also, get a Mid Tower.
There's really no reason for you to buy a fulltower.

New budget..need to build a very decent gaming computer between $500-$800

I need to build a decent gaming computer, but only have $800 at max to spend. I'm incredibly new to building computers so all the tips and hep is greatly appreciated. On the computer i plan to play Wow, COD, CA, War craft and many other games. I would like to play them on a HD setting with very little lag. I don't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse. Just the computer case and everything that goes inside.
Also, since i am relatively new to this, some tips on what to look for when building a gaming computer would be nice.

Thanks A lot!

Since you only have a budget of 800, I would really consider building an AMD machine. Youll probably get much more bang for your buck that way. Intel does generally outperform AMD. But with a budget like yours, you will get more out of AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom