Building a gaming computer and need help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Building a gaming computer and need help

OK, so recently my laptop broke on me and i decided to build my own gaming computer so i wouldn't have to spend a lot of money to buy a brand new one. I've looked up some articles and decided what i wanted to put in it, but I'm not completely sure if all of it is good quality for gaming. Here is a list of what i plan to buy:

Antec Twelve Hundred Chassis - - - Antec Twelve Hundred Chassis - TWELVE HUNDRED - Buy.com

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor - - - Amazon.com: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor: Electronics

Glyph 500GB SATA Hard Drive - - - Glyph 500GB SATA Hard Drive | Sweetwater.com

BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 OCFU 1792MB PCIe 2.0 (B) - - - BFG Tech - BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 OCFU 1792MB PCIe 2.0 (B)

XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply - - - XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply at TigerDirect.com

Lite-On IHOS104 Blu Ray ROM - BD-ROM 4X, DVD-ROM 8X, CD-ROM 32X - - - Lite-On IHOS104 Blu Ray ROM - BD-ROM 4X, DVD-ROM 8X, CD-ROM 32X at TigerDirect.com

Above are all the things i plan to get (except for a motherboard) for my gaming computer.
This is obviously my first time building a computer so i need some advice on what motherboard i should get. Please let me know which you think would be the best for a gaming PC, and which would be compatible for all those parts listed above. Also, the case i have chosen has slots for fans and i am wondering which fans i should get.

P.S - if you think i should get a different case please let me know
Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Building a gaming computer and need help

I don't have the time to help this guy thoroughly, I beg any one who's a good hardware buff to post in this thread and help this guy.

Let me start by saying, don't buy a Core 2 Quad.
I recommend either getting an Athlon II X2 and waiting for the Phenom II X6's to release, or just waiting for the Phenom II X6's to release.
Or you could get an i7 920 for about the same price as a high end Core 2 Quad, as you have selected.*
*Cheaper actually

Only buy the GTX 295 if you're getting a good deal on it.
I recommend a 5850 or 5870 over it, just for the convenience of lower power draw, them being single GPU graphics cards and having comparable performance.

You don't need a 1000w PSU, and you most certainly do NOT need one from XION.

I've never even heard of Glyph before?
Try to look at Newegg for parts?
Do you have a Microcenter nearby?
Is there a Tigerdirect in your state?

Also, get a Mid Tower.
There's really no reason for you to buy a fulltower.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

How much do you want to spend?

Anyways pretty much all you picked is old, over priced, or junk no offence. The 295 was and still is a waste of money, its last gen as well. That psu is overkill, and from a junk brand, hdd is super overpriced, and core 2 quads are old and dead.

Look into something like this:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Total is $1404 without shipping/taxes. Can go with a phenom II and save ~$200, then a 5850 to cut another $100 off. If thats still too high just say so and someone can put together a build for you.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Dirkpitt's build looks nice. core 2 quad and gtx 295 are old and outdated. And Glyph? lol.. +1 for introducing us to a new brand. (if it turns out to be a bad brand, -1).

Anyways, definitely look at what dirkpitt put together there. If you still have money left over, get an SSD:
Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

If you want a higher-end HSF, get this:
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
you'll need a fan with it though.

As for case, its all about personal taste, get whichever you like. I like these:
Newegg.com - NZXT LEXA S LEXS - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

good luck.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, thanks. But are all the cases above compatible with all the parts dirkpitt45 said?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yes. All of those cases should work fine with the parts he mentioned.

Though I recommend getting this HSF and bracket over that Cooler Master Hyper 212.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-004-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-005-_-Product
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

OK, thanks a lot guys. Now i am going to have to buy a monitor. Anyone have any suggestions on a good gaming one but for a good price?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New budget..need to build a very decent gaming computer between $500-$800

I need to build a decent gaming computer, but only have $800 at max to spend. I'm incredibly new to building computers so all the tips and hep is greatly appreciated. On the computer i plan to play Wow, COD, CA, War craft and many other games. I would like to play them on a HD setting with very little lag. I don't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse. Just the computer case and everything that goes inside.
Also, since i am relatively new to this, some tips on what to look for when building a gaming computer would be nice.

Thanks A lot!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Since you only have a budget of 800, I would really consider building an AMD machine. Youll probably get much more bang for your buck that way. Intel does generally outperform AMD. But with a budget like yours, you will get more out of AMD.

Closed Thread