Building a Gaming computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Building a Gaming computer

I just recently started a YouTube channel and need a computer that will be able to run a gaming card program and OBS (Open Broadcast Software) while running my game at its max setting. I heard that its is cheaper to build it. I don't know very much about computers but I do know that my MacBook isn't cutting it. I have budget of $700. Is it possible to build a computer that would be able to meet all of my needs to run these programs? I currently have no items to build a computer. Please, can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thanks

TeeBonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Building a Gaming computer

So you need the monitor and everything? You'll need a really good video card which will take over half your budget to do what you want.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I already have the elgato video game capture card. I have a monitor and a tv. I just need the computer that would help me run thesee programs at the same time. And I might be confused but are you talking about the video card in the computer?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yes I am. What capture card is it? Btw, I'll be going to bed pretty soon (early mornings) but I'll reply as soon as I get to work about 5:30am.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's the Elgato Video Capture Card HD 60. I'm trying to run that with OBS. Ok, Thanks.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Ok yea that card is for streaming consoles. WIll you be gaming on the PC in question or only streaming the console footage?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea I eventually want to be able to stream from the PC. As of right now I'm streaming from the console. I want to be able to save my videos with a facecam. The elgato doesn't save videos with a face cam, but OBS does. It's crazy. And OBS can save videos from the facecam.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yes I understand that, but my question was are you gaming with the PC or simply gaming with the consoles and using the PC to stream?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't want to stream at all. I just want to record. And yes, I will record using the PC and the consoles.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Ok you're not making much sense and need to make up your mind. Let me clarify.

First you said you wanted to make Youtube videos, your thread title states gaming computer, and need a 'gaming card' that can run titles at max settings.

Your post above says this "Yea I eventually want to be able to stream from the PC. As of right now I'm streaming from the console.", but now you said you only want to save videos while my original question was never really answered.

So, will you be GAMING on the PC, as in playing PC games, or only console and using the PC to save your videos or stream? The latter makes a huge difference because if you won't be playing actual PC games on this computer you won't need a high end video card meaning your budget will be fine.

Edit: I also think terminology here isn't fully understood.

Capture Card: The Elgato device used to input video from consoles to record or stream
Video card / GPU: The graphics card inside the computer.
Stream: Stream to a service like Twitch or Youtube
Record: Capture and save gaming footage to your drive (which can be done while streaming)

Access to my Plex PM me.