Building First PC In a jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada

Solid State Member
Hey guys don't know if you remeber me , about a week ago I was asking some questions about a pc. Well it finally came and started building it tonight. But need some help on a part.

So I got the Intel E6600 Installed boy was I sweating and still Im. My question is I have some Artic Silver and was woundering if I should I apply a very small amount on the Processor as my picture shows below and if thats the right spot to put it.
PC-1.jpg

Also I have the Heat Cooler Artic 7 and it looks like some has been applyed already would you recommonded putting some on it or can you go over stuff thats already there heres a pic I took as well.
HeatCooler.jpg

Im about half way done, some parts are frustrating / never racking yet Im having a blast building my first pc. Just hope it runs when all said and done.

Thanks everyone if you can help me out.

Sorry about Quality of pics!

You put a tiny bead, about the size of a grain of rice in the middle of the CPU's integrated heatsink. Then put your heatsink on and attach it. The pressure of the heatsink should spread out the AS evenly.

^^^Exactly.

You might also get some advice to smear the paste over the CPU. However, Arctic Silver recommends that you do not smear the paste.

I have done both, with no difference in results. Since they must know what they are talking about since they make the stuff, then I would put the bead on. Then, just take the HS and put it straight on. The paste will find where it needs to go on it's own.

What I did when I applied Arctic Silver 5 was put about 2 grains of rice amount of the AS5, and evenly spread it out with a (clean) razorblade, clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Then attached my heatsink.

Would you put your motherboard in the case before putting the heatsink on it, or put the heatsink on out of the case then put the motherboard in

Put the heatsink on first before you put the mobo in the case, especially if you have a heatsink like the Scythe Infinity. Also if you're heatsink came with a thermal pad or paste, take it off, use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol, so you don't scratch the base up.

thanks. Using the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and it does have the paste

Nvm, you have the AS, don't use the paste that came with the heatsink, the silicone white stuff.

Just a few quick questions before I turn this machine on.

I noticed something weird with my hard-drive, I got the IDE Cable with the Motherboard for the HDD, but when you look in the picture below I took you can't connect the IDE? You use the red cable and the power one is this right?
cpu2.jpg

cpu1.jpg

Also one last question this is the connection from one of my fans from the front of the case. The ones with the holes there do the connect anywhere I couldn't see anywhere and Ive read all over couldn't find anything?
cpu3.jpg

Thanks alot for your help greatly appreciated.

The red cable is a Serial Advanced Technology Attachment or SATA cable. For a SATA hard drive, you use that cable for data transfer and the SATA power cable for power instead of a four pin molex connector. SATA hard drives transfer at either 1.5Gbps or 3Gbps, depending on the hard drive, much faster than IDE (ATA100/133) hard drives.

It's actually good that you took a picture though, because I can see a mistake you made with the cable. You'll notice on the motherboard end of the cable, the connector has a 90 degree bend. Take the cable out and put it so the connector with the bend is connected to the hard drive and the straight connector is connected to the motherboard. It should still work the way you have it now, but most motherboards will have about four SATA ports right next to eachother, and you won't be able to fit them all because the bends will block ports. Also, make sure that port you're using on the motherboard is SATA1, it's just good practice. It should be labeled near the port, but if not, check the manual.

The four pin female molex you have there is just an extention really, so you can put another male connector into that female, thus creating a link to the power supply. In this case though, I'd say only put other fans through that link, again, just good practice. By "that link" i mean the female four pin molex coming out of the fan.

Good to see you're enjoying the build, now finish up and get some zipties to start cable management!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom