Building first PC for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonomi

Beta member
Hi, I'm building my first PC and am quite a beginner at all this. Was wondering if you guys could help. :grin:
It's also my first post :wink:
So here's a list that I've looked at so far:

ASUS p8Z68-V/GEN3 S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX -Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX (P8Z68-V/GEN3) - dabs.com

Intel Core i7 2600K - Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Core i7 Quad-Core Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1155): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 580 - EVGA 015-P3-1582-KR GeForce GTX 580 797MHz 1536MB PCI-Express HDMI SuperClocked Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Corsair Vengeance 16GB - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9) - dabs.com

Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB - SEAGATE 2TB 7.2RPM 3.5 6G/B SATA 64MB BARRACUDA XT 7200.12: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card with I/O Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Lite On Blu Ray Writer - LiteOn IHBS112-37 12x Blu-ray BDRW Bulk + Software: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Corsair TX850 power supply - Corsair Memory TX850 V2 850W ATX Enthusiast Series (CMPSU-850TXV2UK) - dabs.com

Corsair Obsidian 650D - Corsair Memory Obsidian 650D Mid-Tower Black Case (CC650DW-1) - dabs.com

So this is what I've piled up together, now the question - is it all compatible?
If it is, what else might I need or if you can find cheaper places please let me know. If it isn't, then likewise what other parts are good with a similar set up like this? Please bear with me, like I said I'm new at this. Any help and advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :heart:

Everything is compatible, and its a pretty sick build. Though, if your main focus is gaming you could save some money in a few areas without losing perfomance. Unless you're doing like video editing and the like, you'd get the same performance in games with the 2500k. Same story with the ram, gaming doesnt even come close to using 8gb and won't for a while. Love the case, it's elegant and a dream to work with.

Unless you intend on burning blu-rays a regular dvd burner will fulfill all your needs for gaming. The sound card is nice, but isn't a dramatic improvement over the onboard sound. Personal reference here though. I'd also say at the amount of money you're looking at spending, include an SSD, i prefer Crucial or Corsair personally.

Yup, you're completely right. My friend gave me this list, but it is really expensive and I'm looking for a way to cut down without losing too much performance. I did look up SSD and although it sounds great to have faster boot and load time, I think the 2TB should suffice. Thanks for the advice and help, I will probably just downgrade to the 2500k and will seriously consider the DVD burner instead of the Blu-ray. The RAM is only an extra £10 from 8Gb, so I reckon it should be ok to double the RAM considering the costs already. Thanks again.

That is a great build.

If you are mainly wanting to game on it and if you plan on playing at no higher than 1920x1080 resolution.

You could save $100 and get an i5 2500K and also get a GTX 570 instead of a GTX 580 and save about $175-$200 more.

That is still a killer gaming machine and that is where I would start to cut cost if needed......if you don't need to cut cost, then that is a mighty fine build, indeed.

Yes, i agree you could knock off the blu-ray and save some bucks.

I would personally get a lower profile ram also, just because some of the corsair vengence can really interfer with some of the larger heatsinks.

I'd get a P67 version of that motherboard if it's cheaper on that site...you (probably) won't be using the features on the Z68 motherboard.

If you've only got standard 2 speakers or whatever, you'll be fine with the onboard sound...

And don't forget: operating system, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or whatever else :)

@Whirlwind Thanks for the heads up, the GTX 570 is at least 100 quid cheaper here which will do wonders for my bank account (I'm still a student :p). Should I really just go for a smaller 8Gb RAM or pay the extra £10 for the 16Gb? I wouldn't want it to melt but I also want to use these for as long as possible, delay the future upgrades needed for more demanding games.

@Night Fox Thanks man, I wouldn't forget the most important peripherals and OS. Though I probably won't use speakers much, it's good to know that the sound card isn't needed - saves me another £100 or so. But will the system be enough for my headset? Meaning will I need anything extra, such as software?

No you should be fine with the headset, also since you picked a unlocked processor add in a aftermarket heatsink for overclocking, or if you don't want to overclock drop to a non-k CPU.

For $10 more I would actually get the ram...even though it really is not needed for gaming at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom