Building A computer testing help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Building A computer testing help!

So, I just received my computer parts for my computer i'm building. I have put the heatsink and the CPU on, the RAM, and the GPU on the motherboard. I hooked it all up to the PSU and turned the motherboard on. The connected monitor displayed nothing with dvi, vga, or hdmi. I have an asus z77 motherboard, so it displays numbers on startup rather than beeping, and at the stage I am at, it's numbers basically mean o.k. for all connected parts. The Heatskink/Fan is on, along with the GPU fan and the Motherboard is on. I tried using the integrated Graphics as well. I do not know the problem, because I think the GPU, CPU, and Motherboard along with the PSU are fine. The only ones that could possibly be a problem are one of my 2 RAM sticks, or the CPU, although I do not know how to test either. Please help! Thanks...

ArcticZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Building A computer testing help!

take the graphics card off and plug your monitor into the display on the motherboard. shouldnt have a problem after that...

16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticZero View Post
So, I just received my computer parts for my computer i'm building. I have put the heatsink and the CPU on, the RAM, and the GPU on the motherboard. I hooked it all up to the PSU and turned the motherboard on. The connected monitor displayed nothing with dvi, vga, or hdmi. I have an asus z77 motherboard, so it displays numbers on startup rather than beeping, and at the stage I am at, it's numbers basically mean o.k. for all connected parts. The Heatskink/Fan is on, along with the GPU fan and the Motherboard is on. I tried using the integrated Graphics as well. I do not know the problem, because I think the GPU, CPU, and Motherboard along with the PSU are fine. The only ones that could possibly be a problem are one of my 2 RAM sticks, or the CPU, although I do not know how to test either. Please help! Thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
take the graphics card off and plug your monitor into the display on the motherboard. shouldnt have a problem after that...
Dude come on

Take the motherboard out and have everything disconnected besides the 8pin and 24pin power connectors from the PSU. Place the motherboard on its box on a solid surface, this is only temp for testing purposes. Take all but 1 stick of RAM out and try it in each slot. Do this with both. Do not have your video card installed, troubleshoot with the IGP. Let us know what the results are.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

it wouldn't work if he tried the onboard while the graphics card was still plugged in...

he didnt say he unplugged the graphics card
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, no video, not working, problem