building a computer starting with a barebone kit. - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to chump
Default Re: building a computer starting with a barebone kit.

Ok I got through BIOs and when I started to install windows it had to format, after a 4 hour format it says the HD is either not switched on or properly connected...? Wth

Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #42 (permalink)
Patron

You should only have to do a quick reformat there is an option that you select in that menu screen.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well I picked a full one and now of says something is wrong with the drive

Now when I go into windows setup there are 4 partiions. 1 partition 831050 mb and 1 at 265613 mb and then 2 unpartions

Is my HD wrecked?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #44 (permalink)
Patron

No download gparted, burn to a disk and reformat the drive to only one large partition in ntfs format. Then install windows.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Techie

When i run gparted, it has my 1 partition there and i cant do anything to it, its unallocated?

so i made the drive msdos and then restarted and tryed windows and it worked!, im typing this post from my computer now ty everyone, specially saltynay and trotter.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
Patron

Ah well done I am happy to hear everything is good again . Hope this hasn't tarnished your opinion on building your own PC now that you have done it before should only take you 30 mins to build and be upto the windows installer.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Techie

hello again after about 3 months of running my own built computer it seems like my drivers started to act up. everytime i would reset my computer sometimes my mouse,keyboard, and monitor would not work. it would take about 3-5 resets to get on with everything working. I decided to hit the switch in the back on and off to see if that would help (bad idea) now it is back to the problem that when i hit the on switch the light blinks and the fans spin for about 2 seconds...is the power supply dead? should i of gotten a higher watt psu? what should i do =(

Update: i tryed to go thro and unplug things to see what the problem is and it seems like when i take out the processor the computer actually runs.. but if i keep it in and unplug something like the video card it doesnt work..soo would this be a processor problem or a power supply problem?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #48 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

If you take out the processor nothing will run, so there's no surprise there. The fans will turn on etc. but nothing else will happen.

You could try a reset I suppose.
Unplug the power, press the power button once.
Take out the CMOS battery and press the power button again
Put the battery back in, then the power cord, then try booting again.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Techie

didnt work. i am trying to find out what i need to replace the processor or power supply? or if theres any way to fix this...anyone else?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I really want someone to confirm this, does it make sense that the motherboard is fryed? It has been 3months since we put it together and it worked, does it fry overtime? the problem was we did not use spacers so it is fryed? before i go and order a new motherboard to want to have some sort of confirmation and also i was wondering would there be an upgrade of this motherboard i should get (maybe one that supports crossfire?, or can i crossfire a pci 2 card with just a pci card?)

Closed Thread