building a computer starting with a barebone kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump

Baseband Member
My brothers moving out and i need a computer. I want to be able to play WoW on high settings with decent fps.
I have decided to go with this kit to start off.
Asus M3N78 PRO 8GB AMD Barebone Kit - AMD Phenom X4 9500 Quad Core Retail, 8GB DDR2-800 Corsair, 750GB SATA2, Clear Side Mid-Tower, 650W PSU at TigerDirect.com

And now for a video card i was thinking :: XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support PVT98WYDFH at TigerDirect.com

ps. maybe i will buy a second one but not right away.

Now all i think i need is a montior and an OS. I was thinking of just using windows XP for now because my friend can get it for me and then just buying some 19" monitor.

Will the kit and the video work together well enough to play WoW, or maybe high end games like AoC?

and is there anything I am missing to build a complete computer?

That will work fine for playing WoW, but please do not get that bearbone kit. 8 gigs of ram is retarded and totally overkill. You can build a much better computer yourself. The Phenom IIs are nice, but the phenoms themselves suck

I am just trying to build a computer that can play most games for 700 the highest, i am trying to base it around this video card XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support PVT98WYDFH at TigerDirect.com with the possible chance of have 2 for sli. I was only thinking about that kit because i thought i should try vista 64bit so the 8 memory would run good with that. Deciding computer parts is harder then i thought and a kit just made it easyer.

-----IGNORE this message didnt see trotters reply

The 9800gtx+ has been dated...and that motherboard won't support SLI so you'd have to upgrade it anyways. You're not going to be using 8gb of RAM with WOW, the graphics demand isn't that high at all. For WOW 2GB is enough. Although most builds will start with atleast 4GB these days.

If you're insisting on an nvidia card the replacement for the 9800gtx is the gts 250, smaller and uses less power so go with it instead if that's what you want. The 4830 will run wow no problem at all.

thanks trotter that was very helpful. ill be looking at that in more detail when i get home.
Mainly i want it to play like WoW, TF2,CS, but also want it to handle higher graphic games along the road.
So your setup will probaly work, all i need is a keyboard, mouse, and montior but that shouldnt be hard to pick out myself.

Don't get 8 gigs of ram. I'm running vista 64 bit on 4 and it flies. Anymore would make no difference.

I might start off with xp pro and then later get vista 64-bit, can i do that?
I think going to start buying now, that build seems to be perfect for me

You will have to format your drive to go from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista. If you can handle that you will be fine.

When you are ready to build, we will be here for you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom