Building a computer, which Power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No More than 450 Watts, possibly even Less, after all the Video card all needs a 350 Watt Minimum.

But, again, Im sure we all learned, if not from me, than from Tri that Wattage isn't as important as Amperage and quality of the Power supply is.

Ste said:
No More than 450 Watts, possibly even Less, after all the Video card all needs a 350 Watt Minimum.

But, again, Im sure we all learned, if not from me, than from Tri that Wattage isn't as important as Amperage and quality of the Power supply is.
Ok that what i needed to know.

I will probably get the one Kblair suggested, thanks for the help everyone!

Thats fine, But I would get the 450W Version for Upgradeability. Unless your going to buy another Power supply when you build a new system.

If you read Tri's sticky at the top of the page, you only need a Forton 400 Watt ($40) to power a pc with everything you'd want (at the moment) As said above, it's all about amps not watts

Millenniumtiger said:
If you read Tri's sticky at the top of the page, you only need a Forton 400 Watt ($40) to power a pc with everything you'd want (at the moment) As said above, it's all about amps not watts

Yes yes But thats not my Point. I always suggest higher for future builds. Its nice to use a power supply for a Long Long time. I Don't think he would be able to build a New system 1 or 2 years down the road and still only need that 400 watt Power supply.

Ste said:
Yes yes But thats not my Point. I always suggest higher for future builds. Its nice to use a power supply for a Long Long time. I Don't think he would be able to build a New system 1 or 2 years down the road and still only need that 400 watt Power supply.

Why? As I mentioned in the sticky, hardware makers aren't bent on increasing power continuously forever. Future hardware products are designed to [normally] consume fewer watts than their predecessors. The glaring exception is video cards, since the makers seem to want to eventually include seperate power supplies for their GPUs.

By the way, his is a relatively low-end PC. If a Quad Core + 8800GTX system consumed 273W at load, I think its safe to say that this one will consume far less. The 400W Forton should leave room for some pretty hefty upgrades.

And what else would you suggest? This 500W Rosewill PSU? Because even though it may say 500W on the box, that PSU will not supply any more watts to the major components than the 400W Forton; they have the same +12v rails. Watts FTL.

If you had a top-of-the-line system right now, and still wanted to leave room for upgrades, I would recommend the Antec 430W True Power Trio. Can't go wrong with 48A on the +12v rails. But unless our OP is planning to upgrade to a Quad Core with SLI'd 8800GTXs soon, I would still recommend the Forton.

Ok, 1-2 years from now, we will have someone build an average Gamming System. Then we shall see if a 400 watt Fortron Will power it.

And I wasn't the one who suggested the Rosewill.

I have had good experiences with Vantec and they are realitivly cheap.
There are some really good Enermax one as well. Im not sure if they have a 450 Watt version.
Ill look on newegg.

Its already been a year since I built my old computer that has a 400W Forton in it. Its been upgraded over time, and its still running strong. Showing no signs of even near failure. Another year is practically guaranteed, even with a new high-end videocard.

Your not wrong. And we both Know it. But niether Am I. Prehaps I was wrong when I said one to two years. But I know for sure that I won't be building a new Comp for at least 3 Years (Dependant on Games and Vista Suckage) Which is why I bought my 535 Watt Enermax. Sure, I Don't use near 535 Watts, Not even 450, maybe not even 400. But I like a lot of room to grow. And I will always reccomend others to do the same. Its a matter of opinion. ;)

As to whether my PSU will still be compatible with motherboards and amperage requirements by then. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom