Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   New Systems | Building and Buying (http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/)
-   -   Building a computer, which Power supply? (http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/building-computer-power-supply-125964/)

Spartan III 11-30-2006 02:42 PM

Building a computer, which Power supply?
 
Question 1: Ok I am building a computer using the following parts to play games like Half-Life 2 and FEAR on, and want to know what type of power supply I should get. Keep in mind that I am on a budget and would like to get a psu for under $40.

Question 2: I would also like to know if anyone has any suggestions better parts or better prices for the parts?(remember budget)

Question 3: Someone told me that I should use a different motherboard and I havn't been able to talk to him again to ask why, is there any reason I should use another motherboard?

OS: Windows XP home edition SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor $61
Motherboard: ABIT KN8 Motherboard $59
Memory: HP 1GB(2x512mb) PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory Kit $68
Hard Drive: Seagate 200gb 7200rpm(stripping from old computer)
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7600 GT Video Card $109
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live(stripping from old computer)
Power Supply: ?????

Everything else not listed there I already have from previous computer(mouse, keyboard, monitor ect..)

KBlair 11-30-2006 02:58 PM

You should never ever skimp on the power supply.

However, you can find a quality one for a little over that budget, it just limits your ability to upgrade in the future without buying a new one.

Ste 11-30-2006 03:19 PM

Iwas going to suggest the 450 Watt Version.. (@ Kblair)

But the 400 Watt one is good enough.

Spartan III 11-30-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KBlair
You should never ever skimp on the power supply.

However, you can find a quality one for a little over that budget, it just limits your ability to upgrade in the future without buying a new one.

Thanks for the link, before I choose that one I was curious about what you guys thought about these two?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...227022&CatId=0
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...028&CatId=1844

I would prefer the second if the PSU is good enough to handle my rig, and I wouldn't still have to buy a case.

Which of the three would be best?

reckliss 11-30-2006 03:59 PM

The one suggested above should be plenty. I powered my system with the 450Watt Version.

Ste 11-30-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spartan III
Thanks for the link, before I choose that one I was curious about what you guys thought about these two?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...227022&CatId=0
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...028&CatId=1844

I would prefer the second if the PSU is good enough to handle my rig, and I wouldn't still have to buy a case.

Which of the three would be best?

Never heard of "power Up" Which is a bad Sign.

The only good PSU that comes with a Case is in the Antec line I believe.

KBlair 11-30-2006 04:09 PM

Power supplies that come with cases are usually low quality.

Also, Power Up isn't as much as a well-praised power supply company that Forton is. ;)

Quote:

Originally posted by Ste
Iwas going to suggest the 450 Watt Version.. (@ Kblair)
Yeah, but it seems he was low on cash, and I didn't want to go that much off budget. (Although, I personally would find the extra $10. :p)

reckliss 11-30-2006 04:12 PM

Oops I was talking about KBlaires suggestion.

Ste 11-30-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KBlair
Power supplies that come with cases are usually low quality.

Also, Power Up isn't as much as a well-praised power supply company that Forton is. ;)

Yeah, but it seems he was low on cash, and I didn't want to go that much off budget. (Although, I personally would find the extra $10. :p)

Not Antecs that come with Antec Cases. :p ;)

Spartan III 11-30-2006 04:48 PM

Too be honest my real question was just how many watts would I need to run what I have listed? What would be good if I was too upgrade in the future, to say a dual core athlon 64 4400+?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.