Building Computer - Need help (ROARK?) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Building Computer - Need help (ROARK?)

A friend of mine is building a computer, and could use a little assistance on the matter.

Budget: 2150 USD (~12500kr - norwegian currency), but he lives in Norway where it's much more expensive than in, for an instance, USA.

This is what he has put together this far: Komplett.no

The site is in Norwegian, and it's where we normally order from in Norway. That's why I put Roark in the title, because I know he can work with this site!
If it looks good enough, then great, but if it doesn't I would love it if you could suggest replacement parts... from the same site?

Help is very much appreciated.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Building Computer - Need help (ROARK?)

I'm no help as I can't really tell the prices, but the pieces themselves look alright.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
ninja troll

^^

no idea what the prices are or if you could do better elsewhere, but all the components are good.
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Like PP said, all the pieces look good, its a build I'd be proud to put on my desk.

That being said, there are always ways to tweak it a little to squeeze out a little more performance for your Krone (plus it looks like you're over budget?).
In no particular order, here are some suggestions:

GPU: The GTX 570 performs nearly equivalent to the HD 7870, depending on the game you're playing, so better bang for the buck there.
I would personally get the MSI GTX 570 TFIII and save ~300kr.

Case: Noise versus Cooling is really about personal preference and what people find loud, and if they want to overclock.
If your friend doesn't think you're computer is loud, get him a Corsair Carbide 400R or 500R, much better cooling than the R3 but should be a little bit louder.

PSU: Some people swear by Corsair, and they are great, but expensive when you consider other quality alternatives.
I'd get an XFX ProSeries XXX 750, same efficiency and amps by another quality company, but 265kr less.

Cooler: If your friend is more concerned about noise a Noctua cooler is probably the way to go, and I'd probably get one anyway since their performance is great.
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 is only 40kr more, can't really go wrong with that.

SSD: From what I've read, in real-world performance you aren't going to see a huge difference between SATA III SSDs (maybe not even between II and III).
That being the case I'd go for the 120GB OCZ Agility 3, saving more Krone along the way.

Monitor: I am not an expert when it comes to monitors and was just going to leave it alone, until I looked at the list.
I use a Samsung monitor myself and love it, so I'd say 24" Samsung B350H, be aware it is red.

*Edit - To those of you who read foreign posts and can't figure out the prices, you don't have to.
You only need 3 things: a browser translator, basic math skills, and an understanding of computer hardware.
I also usually keep http://coinmill.com/ open in a tab, just so I don't suggest a "huge savings" that ends up being 12 cents.
Its just like shopping in your country, find the best bang for the buck items (or whatever the currency happens to be).

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

I look at it this way. Every place has a different standard of living so even if I could translate or convert their currency, what could be cheap to me could still be pricey to them. So all I do is like I did and give my opinion on the hardware or build and just leave it at that.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can get a Corsair tx 750 for 995.... If you still want a Corsair. You can also get a 650W psu if you need savings.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I look at it this way. Every place has a different standard of living so even if I could translate or convert their currency, what could be cheap to me could still be pricey to them. So all I do is like I did and give my opinion on the hardware or build and just leave it at that.
Fair enough; but if someone is willing to give me their budget in their currency I don't see it as any different than shopping in the US.
When you have the numbers it isn't terribly difficult to make the build ≤ budget.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks, Roark. You're an angel.

Closed Thread