Building a computer : How well will this run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathByRobocop

Beta member
Alright, I'm getting a computer built here locally. Not gonna specify a price right yet, but heres what i'm getting:

Chenbro ATX mid-tower case with Sparkle 400w power supply (I dont really want a fancy looking computer. a basic box works for me)
ASUS M2N-E nVidia 570 SATAII Motherboard
AMD A64 6000+ x2 CPU
4gb DDR2 800MHz
Western Digital 320GB KS 7200RPM 16mb SATAII Hard drive
LG 20x Dual layer DVD-RW & CD-R/W with Software
nVidia 8800gt 512MB PCI-E

Just the tower here. I'll be installing Windows XP onto this thing.

Anyway, this is for gaming only, I dont plan on doing anything else fancy (Perhaps a 'bit' of 3d Modelling and stuff like that) I'm just curious what kind of performance I should expect from some of the more recent games this year.

Thanks!

You should be able to max out all settings on nearly every game except Crysis or Age of Conan.

Also, just a word of advice, if he charges over $600 for that build, I would not accept that. Those prices (not including XP) come to a total of $530 including shipping on Newegg. Now if he is a system builder like myself, he should have a distributor that gives prices cheaper than Newegg and therefor $600 for that build would near a $100 profit for such a low budget, 2 hour build job. Plus, there better be a good warranty offered. It's still up to you if he does end up charging you more than that, but over $600 would be a major rip off and you would be better off just learning to build it yourself. It really isn't hard at all and will obviously save you some money depending on the situation.

You should be able to max out all settings on nearly every game except Crysis or Age of Conan.

Also, just a word of advice, if he charges over $600 for that build, I would not accept that. Those prices (not including XP) come to a total of $530 including shipping on Newegg. Now if he is a system builder like myself, he should have a distributor that gives prices cheaper than Newegg and therefor $600 for that build would near a $100 profit for such a low budget, 2 hour build job. Plus, there better be a good warranty offered. It's still up to you if he does end up charging you more than that, but over $600 would be a major rip off and you would be better off just learning to build it yourself. It really isn't hard at all and will obviously save you some money depending on the situation.

Alright, thanks a lot! He was charging me roughly 840 bucks for it (without XP and with Taxes and such) so i would've gotten a pretty nasty rip.

I'll just build it myself, I have a bit of a fear of the insides of computers... Might aswell conquer it.

(Does newegg also assemble these things and ship? That'd be wonderful, could you link me to that bundle? That site totally confuses me )

You'll lose that phobia the second you boot and are starting up your rig :)

So whats your budget?

You'll lose that phobia the second you boot and are starting up your rig :)

So whats your budget?

Roughly $550 - $600 CAD.
I really like whats been set up so far. I honestly dont plan on playing too many of the latest gen games for PC (Except for STALKER: Clear sky and Brothers in Arms : Hells highway)
I'm in Brandon MB, Canada. And finding a good building place is hard, that, and most of those Computer parts shops really confuse me as stated as before.
If anything, What i've got listed is what I want. If theres more that I can do with the $550 I have, do tell!

Note : I'm just wanting the tower and the tower alone, None of the OS's as I already have XP sitting and waiting to be installed.
Oh, Internet Access, too. I'm gonna be playing WoW on this.

Ok so your places to shop are NCIX and Newegg.ca...

for $550 CAD here's a good build, keep in mind its a barebone, you can choose the other parts that are personal preference:

8800GT 512MB
4gb DDR2
e7200
P45 Board available
Corsair 650tx (or whatever is cheap there)

vernong1992's build with a HD4850 and instead of a 650w power supply (wtf i know you said "whatevers cheap there, but still overkill") maybe a 550vx.

vernong1992's build with a HD4850 and instead of a 650w power supply (wtf i know you said "whatevers cheap there, but still overkill") maybe a 550vx.

Very true.

But I forgot that Newegg.ca wasn't out there :) plus on Newegg you can get a Corsair 650tx for like $20 more, which is really a why not sitch right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom