Building a computer. Feedback appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
Hello all, i have a few questions at the moment and would appreciate the help.

I've read over the FAQ's and learned a lot. the only thing I did not learn was if I should find a processor and then find a compatible motherboard, or if I should find a motherboard and then a compatible processor.

That kinda sets the path for this question:
I've been reading and asking a lot of computer guys their opinions and came to the conclusion that a Pentium 4 processor will work fine for my needs for now, but on a future date, I would like to upgrade to Core 2 Duo. Is that possible to do in the same motherboard? If so, suggestions would be great.

I may have further questions so I will post as i think of them. Thanks in advance :)

I usually go with the CPU, then motherboard.

It may be possible, it just depends on your motherboard. If you have socket 468 Pentium 4's, then you will have to swap in a new socket 775 Motherboard.

How old is the computer?

I haven't built the computer yet. i'm on newegg right now browsing the CPU's and Motherboards.

Will I have to choose a video card based on what kind of motherboard i choose? Are the slots different from mobo to mobo?

and my question about upgrading later on, take this motherboard for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121054

CPU Type: Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron D

Could I buy that motherboard with a P4 today, and then 6 months from now if i decide to upgrade to a C2D, just simply open the case and swap the CPU's out? is it that simple? or is there a little more involved than just that?

No as long as the motherboard has pci-express slots then any pci-express gpu will fit it, its just slot dependant, not motherboard dependant.

And the answer to your last question is yes, you could just swap cpu's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom