Building a computer

Corsair CXM Builder series 600W Hybrid Modular Power Supply = £55.92

yeah, should be switched out. corsair makes great stuff, but their builder series is their budget series and might not be based on their top of the line stuff.

it will cost just a few pounds more, but i would look for the tx650M which has the modular cabling that you had here with a little more headroom for the beefier graphics cards.

Well that's just it. I'm not on a budget, but I just want my son to have this computer to replace his old outdated one, and with my already extreme computer I just want this to be cheap-ish and cheerful. With that in mind, would everything alright?

Edit: Didn't see the point of making a new Thread, have slightly updated my selection. All going to be bought from Scan.
Intel Core i5 3470 Processor £148.98
MSI B75A-G41 Motherboard £53.70
Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM £44.16
XFX 7850 Double Dissipation Edition GPU £143.74
Seagate 1TB HDD £51.58
Corsair Force Series 128GB SSD £94.94
LG GH24NS95 DVD+RW £15.56
Corsair Enthusiast TX 650W PSU £64.32
Edimax 300Mbps Wireless 802.11 PCI-E Adapter £16.26
Corsair Carbide 200r Case £49.99
= Probably near enough £700 with shipping costs.
I can't decide between a GeForce GTX 650 Ti Or The XFX 7850 I have listed above. 650Ti is around £20 cheaper but I'd rather spend that £20 For the better card.
May I also ask, what benchmark 'GPU' should I look at simply for 1080p videos?

Last edited:
It would be better to have the i3 3220 and a 660ti rather than an i5 and a lower end GPU. The 7850 is ehhh but in terms of performance the 650ti is worse than that. The 660ti blows both of those out of the water. If your son wants to game a lot then getting a better GPU makes more sense than having the i5.

My son and I are somewhat hugely competitive gamers and we like to play everything, but that's why I asked you to help me with my computer. And may I Just add in that all my parts have arrived. This computer will literally be just to replace his old one, it doesn't need to be hardcore like mine, Just enough so that he can Facebook/TwitterTumblr/whatever and watch HD videos when his girlfriend comes over etc. I know he plays a couple games but they're all online and downloadable like W.o.W and RuneScape. I don't need to buy him a Monitor though, I'll connect his 32" LG LCD TV To his PC via HDMI or something, so I can save a little cash there.

.. That's on his computer for the third time :p
I asked for advice on components for my computer so my son and I can do whatever and play whatever we want. This computer I'm going to give my son will just be in replacement for his old outdated one. I was talking about when his Friends/Girlfriend come over and he plays RuneScape and watch HD videos etc. which is why I asked about a GPU I could buy just for watching 720/1080p Films and such.

Back
Top Bottom