Building a comp for the first time :) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default Building a comp for the first time :)

After months of debating whether or not if i should build a gaming comp or buy one ive decided to build one.
The only thing i have is this monitor Viewsonic Ľ VX2233wm 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor


Ive done a little research and i know what cpu and gpu that i might want to get i just need help picking the other stuff around those two.

I was thinking about getting the i-5 2500k for cpu and for the gpu the GTX 560 Ti 1gb.

My price range is $1000 max

So any of your knowledge and expertise and time is greatly appreciated.
__________________

theron23 is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
acerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

Just went thru this - so this thread should help you out. http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/so...stions-250555/
__________________

acerinpa is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

i got you beast of a computer, it just doesnt include a HDD, couldnt fit it in the budget, buy a used one for $20 and youll have an awesome computer that can max out any game!

Case: $50
NZXT Source
Newegg.ca - NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black “Aluminum Brush / Plastic” ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: $125
MSI P67A-G43
Newegg.ca - MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: $225
Intel Core i5-2500K
Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Ram: $55
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2B1600C9

GPU: $350
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570
Newegg.ca - ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU:$140
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

DVD Burner: $20
Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AL/BSBE LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

CPU cooler: $35
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+


Total: $1000
__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
i got you beast of a computer, it just doesnt include a HDD, couldnt fit it in the budget, buy a used one for $20 and youll have an awesome computer that can max out any game!

Case: $50
NZXT Source
Newegg.ca - NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black “Aluminum Brush / Plastic” ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: $125
MSI P67A-G43
Newegg.ca - MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: $225
Intel Core i5-2500K
Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Ram: $55
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2B1600C9

GPU: $350
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570
Newegg.ca - ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU:$140
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

DVD Burner: $20
Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AL/BSBE LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

CPU cooler: $35
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+


Total: $1000
It says that the case is out of stock... and i dont have an OS so would it be smarter to get the GTX 560Ti then with the almost $100 i save by doing that to get an OS?
theron23 is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

Yes, get a 560ti, and do not buy a used hard drive... If yoiu have an old one around, sure.

If you have no plan to get 2 gpu's, drop the tx750 for a 600W. You can get Antecs for a great price and allow for a harddrive too.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

amazon has that case in stock. also, there is the NZXT Gamma and the NZXT M59 cases are also good cases at the same price point.
there are ways to get a OS for free...
__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
amazon has that case in stock. also, there is the NZXT Gamma and the NZXT M59 cases are also good cases at the same price point.
there are ways to get a OS for free...
will my friend google help me with that?
theron23 is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

your friend google will help you with that... or a PM to me.
__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline  
Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
your friend google will help you with that... or a PM to me.
I definitely would but sadly i need like 36 more posts.... lol
theron23 is offline  
Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Building a comp for the first time :)

The only free OS out there is Linux. Other than that it is piracy and illegal. We dont condone or support such talks on this site. So the talks best be about Linux or there will be problems.
__________________

__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a new comp (first time) 600 - 800 Taijis System Upgrades 7 09-23-2010 10:20 PM
Building First Time Comp 800 - 1000$ DirtyPlunger New Systems | Building and Buying 2 05-24-2010 04:47 PM
Please help - First time building comp iwaspwnd New Systems | Building and Buying 23 08-05-2009 12:03 AM
FIRST time building a comp. Need Advice and Help. BC727 New Systems | Building and Buying 20 07-28-2006 05:37 PM
Building a new comp first time need help bige14 Overclocking and Modding 10 05-07-2004 05:17 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.