Building an Alienware M14x

theopfor

In Runtime
I've heard a lot of arguments, and one side says Alienware computers overpriced, and others say they are the best things out there. So, I want to build my own Alienware m14x thinking it will cut down the price. So I want to build the computer without the fancy backlights, no fancy rubber looking thing that is supposed to feel a lot better than what is usually used in laptops. Then add some stuff, like taking away the harddrive and replacing it with flash memory(I think it's proper name is SSD, but I don't know) like Apple does in their MacBooks.

I was able to find a list of the specs for the m14x on a website, but I don't know if that is legit information. The only peice of hardware (besides mice and keyboards) that I have ever bought was a 2GB stick of DDR2 RAM. So I have no idea where to start, and where the best deals are (I'm thinking newegg.com from other posts here are).

Hardware:
  • 3rd Generation Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-3720QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.6GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
  • 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
  • 2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimusâ„¢
  • 14.0" High Def (720p/1366x768) with WLED backlight (I saw in a video someone complaining the screen was glossy, I don't know if this is true, but if it is, an alternative suggestion would be very welcome)
  • Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di High-Definition 5.1 Audio
  • 2.1 Speaker configuration with Subwoofer
  • Audio Powered by Klipsch®
  • 7.1 Digital Audio out using HDMI out connection or S/PDIF Optical port.
  • 256GB6 Solid State Drive SATA hard drive (Unless getting up to 512GB is cheap)
  • Slot-Loading 8x SuperMulti Drive (DVD± R/RW)
  • High Capacity 8-cell Lithium Ion (63whr)
  • 1.3 MP HD Camera with dual digital microphones
  • Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet NIC (I don't know if this, and the next two items are different options to the same thing)
  • Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 With Bluetooth 4.0
  • Intel Advanced-N WiFi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology with WiMax and Bluetooth 4.0
  • I don't know what keyboard (no cool backlights)
  • I don't know what touchpad
Ports:
  • (1x) RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet
  • (2x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
  • (1x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Port with PowerShare Technology
  • (1x) Mini-Display Port
  • (1x) HDMI 1.4 Audio and Video Output
  • (1x) VGA Port
  • (1x) 9-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • (2x) Audio Out 1/8" Ports
  • (1x) Audio In / Microphone 1/8" Port (retaskable for 5.1 audio)
  • (1x) Security Lock port

Height: 1.49 inches
Width: 13.27 inches
Depth: 10.16 inches

I am mainly going to play games like Minecraft and Borderlands. I've never really played any computer games except for Minecraft but my netbook can't handle gaming anymore.

Where can I find prices for the hardware?
If there is a better choice, or one that is cheaper but equivalent specs, please let me know.

There are a few companies that do customize a laptop to what you want, based on what they will provide. Sager, Cyberpower PC, and yes, Alienware come to mind.

I'm not a fanboy, by no means, but I do have to say that I have had many, many gaming laptops over the years due to military deployments, and I keep going back to the Dell Alienware for it's reliability, and warranty.
are they overpriced? In some respects yes... but check out the refurbished models on the Dell outlet site. Most prices now a days are not bad, as long as your not wanting the bleeding edge, newest thing out.

So I would suggest go with what's in your price budget and your intended use.

They charge over a grand for small laptops when you can get a 17" Asus off Newegg for 500 and up. They overprice all of their stuff.

My thoughts by your post was completely build a laptop from scratch, not just customize the internet parts. Sure you can do that on a lot of sites but I really don't see the point in wasting the money unless you need something portable.

I'll stick to Asus for my gaming laptop needs :thumbsup:.

As far as building a laptop.. very difficult to almost impossible.

You would pretty much have to custom-make your case, and laptop parts are VERY expensive (i.e. motherboard / screen), because they're usually made for only specific models / lines of laptops by the manufacturer.

They charge over a grand for small laptops when you can get a 17" Asus off Newegg for 500 and up. They overprice all of their stuff.

But it was said that he was looking for a M14X (14") laptop, not a 17"... So I ASSUME that he is looking for something portable in the first place. Even off newegg, the prices range from 600 (not even decent) to over 2 grand... Now Sager does offer a 14" for about 740 plus shipping... But very few upgrades and customizations.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP2240

LOL, Actually I really hate dell desktops, but a couple of the laptop lines are decent. The only main reason I keep going back to Dell is, I have a good relationship (good line of credit) with them. :p :lol:

Back
Top Bottom