Building for 2014 - Gaming & 3d Art

The computer is built so I'll follow up with a postpartum.

I put a bit more research into the PSU after reading PP Mguire's comment.

Corsair usually makes dependable power supplies with the CX600 being the exception. I decided to RMA it for a refund and spend the extra ~$50 on the HX850 also by Corsair. The HX series are in its 4th generation and I know it will be dependable since my old rig has, and is still using, the HX620 from several years ago.

Rating wise the build scores as follows:
Processor - 7.8
Memory - 7.8
Graphics - 7.9
Gaming Graphics - 7.9
Primary Hard Disc - 5.9​
Four out of five factors hit at or a tenth below the highest mark.

I'll add more feedback in a few days as I start using the programs that I use and the games that I play. Thanks once more for the people who've helped. In turn, I hope this thread helps other people come to a decision on their builds. :lol:

You didn't need to get an HX850 for a simple setup as it's extremely overkill.

The reason I said not to buy the CX600 is not because it's bad, as I've built several rigs with the CX500 itself. Just, there isn't a point in paying the bit of extra cash on the CX600 when you can spend a hair more and get a quality TX650 or Seasonic S1211 620. My deal with the CX series is, if you're spending a decent amount on your machine then don't buy a budget unit. Bear in mind, budget in the case of the CX doesn't mean bad PSU, but just lesser grade materials are used compared to their better units. Why not spend a hair more for something more quality? The HX850 I own myself and it's an excellent unit, just pretty overkill for your rig lol.

Overkill is an understatement! I originally started looking into the HX series and figured that I'd go with the 750 for whenever I add a few more components to my rig. At the time, after incorporating promo codes and rebates for both PSU's, the 850 was on sale for $10 more so I figured, "eh, why not" and ordered it.

The following morning I checked the 750 again out of some random instinctual curiosity and, of course, the 750 was given an even better sale than it had the day before. :neutral:

I actually went to modify my order but NewEgg had already packaged it within the six hours after I placed it! Fast! So... I guest I don't have to worry about running out of watts these next few years when I upgrade! :p

Yea it's never a bad thing and that PSU will last you literally years. I've had my 1000w TT since 08 and my HX850 since 09. Both will continue to power my beasts until they die which with the way I take care of my stuff could almost be "never".

Back
Top Bottom