Building 1500 Gaming rig, buy now or wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not recommended to get 12Gb of Ram, it can actually slow down your system. Stick with 6Gb, 3x2Gb stick in triple channel mode. That'll work fine for you.

Why is 12 GB of ram bad?

I was planning on using 12 Gb in a system i'm building in a month or two.

1TB=1000GB

1TB of RAM is not possible right now for gaming. Do you mean 1TB of hard drive space?

For the next year, I don't think you would even be needing more than 6GB of RAM. It's more than enough for gaming.

But yes, adding another video card will keep you happy. Or you can sell and buy the next single powerful card down the line.

Isn't it really 1024GB, really 1000GB based on how the man at all hard drive making company screws you over?

12GB is not necessarily bad, but more or less extremely unnecessary for the average user/gamer. Only people really in dire need of 12GB are people who run 5-6 or more VM's at the same time, run a AutoCAD Workstation, or any other combination of extremely RAM taking programs.

Isn't it really 1024GB, really 1000GB based on how the man at all hard drive making company screws you over?
I wasn't feeling very technical that day. But you're correct.

vernong1992 said:
12GB is not necessarily bad, but more or less extremely unnecessary for the average user/gamer. Only people really in dire need of 12GB are people who run 5-6 or more VM's at the same time, run a AutoCAD Workstation, or any other combination of extremely RAM taking programs.
ril said:
Why is 12 GB of ram bad?

I was planning on using 12 Gb in a system i'm building in a month or two.
There really is no need for 12GB unless you use the computer for the reasons that vern has stated above.

Just think of it this way. You have 6GB already for example. You see that that you're using up most of the 6GB on a daily basis, then you go and buy another set. This way, if you were happy with the way 6GB was running, you wouldn't have had to spend that extra money on something that you're really not going to use to it's potential in the first place.

12GB of memory, using all the slots, will work the memory controller a lot harder than just using 3 slots. At stock speeds, or with a mild overclock, you shouldn't have a problem. However, if you want to get close to the 4GHz range, which the 920 is capable of, 12GB of memory can really strain the system. Plus, they don't sell 12GB sets of memory (6x2GB) so you have to buy 2-6GB (3x2GB) sets of memory. And memory speeds aren't guaranteed when running 2 sets of memory. So if you buy DDR3 1600 memory it may only run at 1333 with 2 sets (stock speed or overclocked).

If you were going to be using this PC for some intense workstation applications then 12GB would be a good idea. But as a Gamer you'll get your best performance with 6GB and a 4GHz overclock :D

I game and use arcGIS, and a little bit of autoCAD but, i have never had problems with 4GB of ram tbh.

what about this. is there anything wrong with 8GB? i always see 6 or 12 GB and never 8.

I didn't mean to hijack this but it seemed like the OP was answered.

You'd only see 8Gb in dual channel builds. 4x2Gb sticks. Now that triple channel is becoming the norm most ram configs will be in multiples of 3. 3x1Gb, 3x2Gb, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom