Building 1500 Gaming rig, buy now or wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan90

Beta member
I used to be big into console gaming, got out of it.

I want to get back into gaming as well as be capable of fartin around on blendor.

I want to spend roughly 1500 including the monitor.

I am looking to buy in the middle of Jan and was wondering what things I should be looking for then.

Right now I like.

Barebones
i7 920
EVGA X58 SLI LE Mobo
6 GB X58 DDR3
Deskstar 7K1000.B 1 TB HD
LSP750 PSU

a second HD and run RAID 1
GTX 280 Video Card - OC Edition
Corsair Hydro H50 CPU cooler

then everything else is petty.
I got a CRT to get me by if I go over budget.

I figured this setup with its 1tb ram capacity and 3 SLI and dedicated PhysX would leave me plenty of room to upgrade for at least two years?

I will be eventually overclocking, but i don't think I will see a need to out of the box.

I have access to vista business 64 bit, windows 7, 64 bit, and xp sp3 and dual booting ubuntu for use with blendor.

I was thinking windows 7.

what kind of sound card should I run?

and am I hittin somewhere in the right ball park for building this thing right?

what are some things coming out that I should look forward to?

and I read that the 920 CPU was being discont. should I grab one now or will the prices for the 950 drop by then?

its been 7 years since I built a computer. forgive me for any ignorance guys.

-Ryan

The i7 920 is a Great CPU, if you can get one go for it.
The Ultra LSP750 PSU is a very bad choice. Ultra = Bad. Spend your money on a good high quality power supply, Corsair is an excellant choice, if your thinking about SLI then you should look at the 750 or 850 watt models.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

You should look for a 6GB (3x2GB) PC3 12800 DDR3 1600 kit of memory. This is a good choice.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
This is even better.
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

As for the Sound. The mobo has a pretty good sound built-in, try it 1st.

okay. I aprreciate the input.

I guess I won't be gettin a barebones kit off tigerdirect. I'll be doin my own thing.

should I go ahead and start buyin pieces for it or do you think prices will drop by Jan?

You might actually want to look into some of the i5 series, some perform as well (if not better) for the same price (if not cheaper).

Welcome to Tech Forums, ryan!

For the price drop. There might be, but I don't think it would be anything significant.

As a heads up, wait for the Nvidia GT300 series due out early next year.

And for the hard drive, I would suggest the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB model over the Deskstar. It's one of the top 1TB hard drives out there, plus it has a 5 year warranty compared to the 3 year warranty of the Deskstar.

okay okay...

and as this system ages.

would upping the ram to 1tb and then throwing in another video card keep me happy, say in a year or two for gaming?

ryan90 said:
would upping the ram to 1tb
1TB=1000GB

1TB of RAM is not possible right now for gaming. Do you mean 1TB of hard drive space?

For the next year, I don't think you would even be needing more than 6GB of RAM. It's more than enough for gaming.

But yes, adding another video card will keep you happy. Or you can sell and buy the next single powerful card down the line.

uhm lol :crazy:

it'd be 12gb is what the board is capable of.

I think i got enough info... I just gotta save the money and pull the trigger.

does anybody have suggestions on a cheap case?

It's not recommended to get 12Gb of Ram, it can actually slow down your system. Stick with 6Gb, 3x2Gb stick in triple channel mode. That'll work fine for you.

oh.... was not aware of that.

I will be watching the market and seeing what comes out in Jan.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom