Build For A Wealthy Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I am going to say wait and get a Conroe Extreme. He'll definitally be able to afford it.

Only get 2 gigs of RAM. Anything over will lag.

yea im just getting two gigs.....lol im smoking too much....ya my bad raptors are 250$ sorry....changed......lol...he doesnt want to wait and doesnt like intel so AMD it is.

Get a seocket AM2 setup... it'll be much better in the long run.

You could buy a X2 5000 or a FX-62 and that'd hold him over fine till K8L...

Also, where are you buying that from? I've seen some of that stuff for cheaper...

i agree with mk97, go am2, and possibly get fx62.

oh and $55 speakers for a $6000 build? splurge a bit more in that area..

you should also buy a seperate sound card.

Man, why does everyone always go to ASUS first. I hate that company. If you ever want tech support you might as well forget about it unless you know chinese.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136166

There's a REAL mans board although there will be a ton of posts after that'll say "ehh, that board isn't good for noobs, it's too tough"

But I guess if he'll never OC then go with the ASUS. It'll OC some, but not like the DFI boards.

Also, I don't really see the point of going to AM2. It basically has no significant performance gains over socket 939 at the moment nor do I really see it taking off too much in the future.

Even 939 will hold until K8L and probably still hold it's ground against whatever AM2 will have.

And yeah, 2gb of RAM is fine unless he's just doing ridiculous video editing or 3d work which could use more than that.

If he's REALLY all about just spending that cash and wanting to be able to brag and all that crap, look into PC Power & coolings top line PSU's. If you wanted to be absurd you could get their 1 kilowatt PSU, but that's just not needed at all unless he was running two of the 7950's for quad sli or something. Even then 1 kilowatt isn't needed.

Only other thing I'd say is eVGA for graphics card, but that's simply because I like them :) They are also supposed to use high quality parts like japanese capacitors on their boards, dont know if BFG does, but it wouldn't surprise me since they have their OC series and all.

Nubius said:
Man, why does everyone always go to ASUS first. I hate that company. If you ever want tech support you might as well forget about it unless you know chinese.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136166

There's a REAL mans board although there will be a ton of posts after that'll say "ehh, that board isn't good for noobs, it's too tough"

But I guess if he'll never OC then go with the ASUS. It'll OC some, but not like the DFI boards.

Also, I don't really see the point of going to AM2. It basically has no significant performance gains over socket 939 at the moment nor do I really see it taking off too much in the future.

Even 939 will hold until K8L and probably still hold it's ground against whatever AM2 will have.

And yeah, 2gb of RAM is fine unless he's just doing ridiculous video editing or 3d work which could use more than that.

If he's REALLY all about just spending that cash and wanting to be able to brag and all that crap, look into PC Power & coolings top line PSU's. If you wanted to be absurd you could get their 1 kilowatt PSU, but that's just not needed at all unless he was running two of the 7950's for quad sli or something. Even then 1 kilowatt isn't needed.

Only other thing I'd say is eVGA for graphics card, but that's simply because I like them :) They are also supposed to use high quality parts like japanese capacitors on their boards, dont know if BFG does, but it wouldn't surprise me since they have their OC series and all.

I'll agree, I hate ASUS, friend has their s939 board and I think it sucks.

Why not sAM2? s939 is not going to live very long... it's EOL before s754 is! I would defintly go sAM2, because with that $$$ you can make one to really out perform a s939 system of the same vein. Lol... s939 compete to K8L? s939 won't even compare to the 65nm revision to the K8 chips... Those are expected to be reacing extreme clocks for an AMD on K8, not to mention several other advances.
And tell me how K8L's quad-core can be competive with a s939?

It's wayyy better in the long run to get a system that will be lasting quite a while in terms of upgrades.

Plus, sAM2 is already showing much better clocks than s939 counterpart chips. Go check out xtremesystems for some of the guys OC'ing over there.

Not meaing to argue, but why 939...

Other wise, I'd say add the X-Fi and better speakers, and it'll be looking better.

meh take his money and ...... wait I better not say that.

Errr I'd say go am2, not that it'll give you any performance gains now, but once the the 65nm process comes out he should be able to upgrade. No new processors are going to be coming out of the 939's at least thats what I've read. Not alot of am2 motherboards out right now too, Nubs favorite company asus has some good am2 boards out.

OHHH WTF no sound card? your going to go integrated with a 6000 budget? Go buy that boy an xfi extreme or whatever their most expensive card is. You could go with 2 7900gtx's as that will burn up a grand, and It'll perform better then a single gx2. You don't have a case listed there, something from lian li..... like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112063

the reason he chose that asus mobo because its one of the few mobos that have true 16X SLI... most other SLI boards are two 8X lanes. the 8X doesn't affect performance all that much... but when you're talkin really high end cards, it just might!

ok thanks guys.....threw in a audigy card. ya i see no performance gain with AM2 as of right now.....so 939 it is. as far as ASUS. i love them and never had any problems so im going with them. I dont plan on buying any other type of mobo for any build. changed the speaker to logitech zz-5450. total comes to around 5000$ and im buying it all from newegg except the watercooling. i let him pick out the case so its not my choice. any other suggstions please PM ME ASAP....as this will be closed and i will no longer check it. thanks again- HUNTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom